𝟏𝟕 | 𝐀 𝐃𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐆𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

Start from the beginning

"No........no it wasn't......."

Klara suddenly saddens, before finishing her meal that I provided. What was she wanting his answer to be? Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I stood up preparing to get her ready for bed with Lena standing up. Glancing down to see Levi remaining stoic, I pat his shoulder.

"I will put her in bed, then meet you later,"

Grunting in response, I guide the child with my hand against her tiny back.

******

"Alrightie, all tucked in?" I ask with a smile, while tucking the blanket around her. Sitting on the side of the bed below my bed, she cutely nods. The soft glow of candle light, gives off a warm aura. The shadows flickering against the walls around, while little Klara adjusts herself within the bed. "Good, now Lena will be here.....so if you need her she will be here to help you with anything, okay?"

She nods quietly, making me ruffle her hair.

Despite everything I did to get her to the surface, I held no ounce of regret.

"Good girl, now sleep tight," I say softly, while running my fingers through her hair. All soft and well kept, after I fixed it up with a trim and hair conditioner. Yet the pain in my neck was swelling, making it difficult to move my head as much. Just the slightest movement, or word vibrates against the swelling even.

She soon flutters her eyes closed, snuggling into her pillow with a cute hum.

Leaning down I press a tender kiss to her temple, straightening out the blankets making sure she knows she's safe and protected. "Goodnight Klara,"

"Night......Akiwa," She cutely yawns, burying her head deeper into the pillow. She must feel more relaxed in this bed, compared to the undergrounds. It made my heart ache, conflicted emotions, and anger within myself. I couldn't predict my own actions, but right now she's safe and cared for.

Within a few moments of gazing upon the child, the little one has fallen asleep which was no surprise at all. She has her tummy filled with food, cleaned and a soft bed to lay in. A big change for her indeed.

Gazing upon her made me realise many things, wishes I wanted for my own future. Will it ever become true, or just a fantasy in my head? Stroking her hair slowly, my eyes deceived me with an image of Mei before me. A fake vision of her, yet made me snap back to reality.

Rubbing my face in exhaustion, I push myself up.

"Alright, I'm heading out.......just keep a sharp eye on her," I whisper gently, turning to Lena who sat on her bunk with a book in hand. She gazes up and nods with a soft hum while flicking a page over, with a head salute and smile.

"Will do, be safe,"

Nodding I head out the door quietly, and discreetly not to disturb the child. The door clicks beneath my fingertips that pressed against the door, before indicating to head straight to Levi's office.

****

~Knock~Knock~

"State name and business!"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I clear my throat.

"Akira Yamasaki, you asked to see me," I firmly reply, a little annoyed with how much privilege he's been getting. He's rising through the ranks, gaining more followers and has full trust. Something Erwin and I struggle together, only wanting nothing more than to have him trust me.

"Come in,"

Opening the door I step in a little more timidly, unsure why he called me in. Hearing the door click shut behind me, I walk over to see him leaning against his desk with a few papers in hand. After a few seconds of awkward silence, he lifts his head taking in my presence. Placing down the papers on his desk, he turns back around and rummages through the draw behind his desk.