Chapter 3 part 2

Heather needed a break and she needed to pee - so she went over to the guest toilet, where she caught the last remnants of a fight between Manny and Haley. They were standing in the toilet, Haley holding some kind of red fabric. „I know you have a crush on me, but this is like deep freak!" She accused the boy, who vehemently shook his head. „No! I used to have a crush on you but not anymore." He defended himself. „Matter of fact, I was trying to get Heathers attention the whole day today, not yours, and finally get her away from Luke. This is all just bad luck." Said girl cocked a brow at that but remained silent. Manny sighed. „Just take your panties and go." At this Heather just had to snort and both people whipped towards her. Their faces fell into shock at having been heard and the brunette made an apologetic face. „I'm sorry, I didn't want to eavesdrop, but... this family is, like, really close, huh?" Her blue eyes wandered to the panties in Haley's hand, before she turned around to walk away. Manny sighed deeply. „Oh my god." He could practically feel his chances of getting with the pretty girl get smaller and smaller.

Deciding to take a breath of fresh air instead Heather stepped out the front door - and promptly walked into two other people... who shouldn't be here, according to what she knew. „Okay. We tell'em we took the noon flight out and-","Hello." The girl greeted friendly, making them whip towards her and Gloria suppressed a scream. Heather cocked a brow. „Aren't you supposed to be in Mexico?" The couple exchanged a glance. „We, ehm, decided to come back early." Jay stuttered before continuing. „Why the hell am I even explaining myself to someone I don't know? Who are you?" The girl put a hand on her hip. „I'm Heather LaFontaine, a classmate of Luke and Manny and I was invited to spend Thanksgiving with the Dunphys." She cocked her head. „Don't you also have a little son? Where is he?" She craned her neck a bit, seeing if she had just overlooked the toddler. Now the parents looked around in panic before Gloria turned to her husband. „I thought you were bringing him!" Jay looked at her in disbelief. „I'm lugging two suitcases!" The woman gritted her teeth. „Empty suitcases!" The man looked at the door. „How are we gonna walk in without-" His eyes widened. „The little turkey." Gloria made a confused face. „I don't like you calling him that." Jay shook his head. „No, no; I mean the turkey I was cooking for us, it's still in the oven."

Heather interrupted him, raising her hands. „Okay, stop!" They both looked at her. „So you didn't actually go to Mexico, is it that what I'm hearing here?" She asked. Jay sighed. „No." The girl slapped her hand on her thigh. „I knew the house wasn't empty! So where is Joe, then? And what about a turkey?" The man raised a hand, pointing somewhere upstairs. „Joe is in our bedroom upstairs, where we were hiding from everyone. I put a turkey for the three of us in the oven, where it's still cooking. Should be done right about now." The girl nodded. „Okay, so I guess the others are not supposed to know you never actually left?" They both nodded. Heather knelt down, taking a pumpkin off the ground; the fall decoration on the front porch. She handed it to Jay. „Wrap it into your jacket and pretend it's your son. As soon as we're inside you say you have to go up to put him down for a nap. And you," she faced Gloria, taking an empty suitcase and handed it to her. „Immediptialy go into the kitchen while everyone is gathered at the entrance to greet you and put the turkey in there. If we're quick, no one will notice anything." The couple looked at each other before Jay declared „I may not know you yet, but I like you already." She smiled. „If this goes south though, I will vehemently deny having played any part in this." Jay shrugged. „That's fair."

The entrance door flew open and Heather strutted in. „Look who just returned from the airport!" Everyone, with the exception of Phil and Luke, immediately started to come over, clear surprise on their faces, while Gloria dashed forward. „HOLA FAMILY!" She practically screamed. „We came back early because we miss you!" And Jay continued „we saw the cars! What, did you move the party here?" Claire nodded. „Yes, hello!" Seeing Cam and Mitchell standing in the living room wearing dresses Heather send the men a confused look and Mitchell scrambled to explain „So, hey d-dad, listen; the reason that we are wearing these dresses," he pointed between Cam and himself, but Jay interrupted him. „Do what you gotta do." He moved towards the stairs, the pumpkin wrapped into his jacket pressed to his body. "I gotta get this little guy to bed because the plane ride really knocked him out." Jay moved so frantically that he promptly crashed the pumpkin against the stairs railing; an ugly crunch echoing through the room. Everyone gasped in shock. The man sheepishly turned towards his family before continuing his way up. „He is fine! See, no crying!" Claire frowned. „That's not necessarily a good thing!"