Chapter Seven

Começar do início

"Until we tried to sneak out of the base and were caught. My father was meant to be killed for letting me influence you, but we both escaped and lived out here." Arid said somberly.

Scarab looked at Arid in disbelief. "Really? Is he here now?"

Arid met her gaze sadly. "No. He died of an old infection two years after we found this oasis and settled down."

Scarab's face fell. "I thought he was just sent away. If I had known he was meant to be killed I'd have--"

"Gotten yourself killed." Arid finished her sentence. "But don't worry about that. What brings you here all of a sudden? What trouble have you gotten into without me?" She headed back towards her sandy hut and Scarab and Qibli followed, Qibli at a much more cautious pace. 

Scarab and Qibli explained everything that had happened since they met at the Full Moon Festival. Arid listened to every word and didn't say anything until they were done.

"And then I woke up early and met you coming out of your house." Qibli said. "Yada yada, arguing, Scarab shows up, we're all friends now."

Scarab brushed her tail against Arid's, sitting close to her. "So we need your help. We have about a dozen problems and no idea how to solve any of them."

"I didn't realize how much drama you were involved in." Arid said. 

"Join the club." Qibli joked.

Scarab looked at her anxiously. "Can you come with us?"

Arid looked back at her, her eyes warm. "Of course. I would never pass up this kind of opportunity to help you. Especially if the fate of the world might be at stake."

Scarab groaned momentarily at the thought of being a Dragonet of Destiny. But the moment quickly faded into relief and excited at the reunion with her dragonethood friend and that she'd be coming with them on this wild misadventure. 

Arid started gathering loose objects laying around the hut and packing them into a pouch of her own. Out of the corner of Scarab's eye, she saw Qibli beckoning her out of the door. Curious, she followed him until the were out of ear shot of the hut.

"I'll be blunt." Qibli promised. "How do we know we can trust her?"

Scarab blanched slightly. "Why wouldn't we trust her? She's my best friend."

Qibli's face flashed with some emotion Scarab couldn't identify before it vanished. "Your best friend. I know nothing about her."

"Oh come on. Surely you've picked up on something." Scarab tapped him between the horns. "You're cleverer than that." Qibli frowned. "Where's this coming from anyway? When you didn't know she was my friend you seemed all aboard trusting her with whatever we needed."

Qibli opened his mouth as if to argue but was interrupted by Arid emerging from the hut. "All set. Where first?"

Scarab turned to start discussing with Arid about the vague outline of a plan she and Qibli had come up. They slowly walked around the oasis to where they had spent the night. Scarab was dully aware of Qibli trailing slowly behind them and the cold feeling in her stomach came back. What was up with him? She would worry about that later. Now, they had a lot to plan and discuss. And a lot to catch up with.

___________________________________

"So in general, the plan is to end the war while avoiding the Talons of Power." Scarab explained as she caught a warm up draft and soared higher. "Qibli, what does the prophecy say?"

Qibli raised his voice so the others could hear. "When the war has lasted twenty years, the dragonets will come. When the land is soaked in blood and tears, the dragonets will come. Find SeaWing egg of deepest blue. Wings of night shall come to you. The largest egg in mountain high will give to you the wings of sky. For wings of earth search through the mud for an egg the colour of dragon blood. And hidden alone from rival queens, the SandWing egg awaits unseen. Of three queens who blister and blaze and burn, two shall die and one shall learn. If she bows to a fate that's stonger and higher, she shall have the power of Wings of Fire. Five eggs to hatch on Brightest Night. Five dragons born to end the fight. Darkness will rise to bring the light. The dragonets are coming."