Chapter Five: Silk

Start from the beginning

Though it was also hard to ignore what a social creature she had become. She was the guest of honour at so many parties, and these honours gave her more sustenance than she was willing to admit. She loved being adored, or feared, or whatever they thought of her. She loved that, after almost a decade in darkness, they thought of her. Her father had never believed that anyone would think of her.

"Oh, that's right. Mr Babbage is hosting one last party there next week – I think most people are only going in order to see whether the house is worth much," said Lady Madeleine.

"Speaking of Mr Babbage's party, I wondered whether I might have a new dress," asked Delilah, now concentrating on her embroidery too much.

Madeleine sighed loudly. "Darling, I wish you had told me sooner. I cannot go today as I am waiting on a call from Mrs Middlebrook, and I doubt the dress will be prepared by Wednesday."

Delilah went to apologise but was silenced by a cool voice saying, "I can accompany Lady Delilah to the modiste."

Delilah and Madeleine turned back to Amelia, who had not looked up from her work.

"I require twenty minutes to finish my letter and get changed and then we shall go."

A moment of silence passed before Delilah sprang up squealing, "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Oh mama, can I go? I can surely go if I am chaperoned by my cousin?"

Lady Madeleine could barely speak at Lady Amelia's show of such relaxed kindness to her daughter and merely nodded. Delilah gave her a kiss on the cheek before sprinting away to get dressed.

"My youngest daughter is rather taken with you," said Lady Madeleine with a small smile. "I fear she will be quite upset when you leave."

Delilah had taken to loitering around Amelia since Mr Cardney asked her to dance, constantly taking her arm and offering to fetch her refreshments. A couple of days ago, when Amelia felt she was pushing the limits of her widowhood by attending so many parties, Delilah had tried to feign sickness to stay home with her. When Christina attempted to do the same, Lady Madeleine put her foot down in a way Amelia had never witnessed and dragged her four unwed children to the dancefloor. Christina dutifully reported to Amelia that Delilah had danced with a viscount (badly, but they still danced) and she had refused to dance with his younger brother.

It was not just the parties – now Delilah had taken to reading outside of Frederick's office during his and Amelia's meetings and finding something to embroider while Amelia wrote her letters in the morning, just to silently dangle off of the Marchioness. She never said a word.

All considered, it was very sweet. Only a touch annoying.

Amelia wanted to feel warmed by Lady Madeleine's smile, but warm was not in her nature anymore, especially with the heirs to her fortune. "It is good to know I have made a decent impression on one of your children. Now if you'll excuse me, I should like to finish this letter before we depart."

Lady Madeleine opened and closed her mouth a few times, not sure whether more talk was welcome or whether she had anything to say. She resorted to keep her mouth closed.

Amelia tried to contain her concern and simply instructed Judy and Paul to write her as soon as they received this note. She could not think of anything to say to them. Hopefully this little excursion with Delilah would distract her, so she readied herself to leave.

Amelia had hoped that a brisk walk to the modiste would calm her, but Delilah had already summoned the carriage. She was sure she would never grow used to being tossed about a carriage, nor Delilah's incessant excited tapping.

"How far away is the modiste?" snapped Amelia after a couple of minutes.

Delilah was too cheerful to notice Amelia's tone. "Madame La Rose? It is only a fifteen-minute walk but I thought you would prefer the carriage. If traffic is light we shall be there in another five minutes."