Audrey Harding: Thriving Willpower - Chapter 13

I stare blankly at my udon bowl on my lap—cool enough for me to eat—and I can't help but wonder what was on Tanjiro's mind that made him leave me with Nezuko without saying anything. I don't understand why he threw away his food so suddenly and then took off running like he was in a hurry. Did he sense something I couldn't see?

Nezuko's snoring catches my attention, and I slightly turn my head to see her still asleep. She looks peaceful in that state, and I don't think she will eat any humans to grow stronger. But that doesn't mean I should stop being wary of her. She's still a demon, and who knows when her craving for human blood will return?

I focus my attention back on my udon bowl and collect some noodles with my chopsticks. I open my mouth and consume the food with pleasure. I swallow, collect more food, chew, and repeat until I have finished it all. I return the bowl to the shopkeeper and thank him for the delicious meal.

I've been keeping watch for a while now, and there's no sign of any Demon Slayers or Demons. I sigh, wanting Tanjiro to come back now.

I hear Nezuko snoring loudly, and notice she's leaning towards my side. Quickly, I scoot over and catch her in my arms. She lets out a little hum at my touch and continues snoring like a baby.

I feel like I'm my own mother just by holding her in my arms as if she's me. She used to hold me like this when I was little. Before I started working at the factory. She was exhausted every day and I slept in her arms to comfort her. After I turned six, she stopped letting me sleep with her and had me sleep on my own bed like a big girl. She didn't want me to get sick due to poor sanitation and hygiene in the tenement house.

The sensation of the demon girl sleeping is quite relaxing if you ask me. I'm sure you would want to hold her like I am right now.

✨✨✨

Tanjiro returns with a look of distress, and Nezuko wakes up to see him. I'm relieved he has come back here safely, but then the shopkeeper starts yelling at him.

"Now listen up, alright?! Money isn't the problem here! What I can't forgive is your lack of intent to eat my perfectly good udon! Why can't you be like this girl with the weird hair color?! She didn't waste it as you did!"

I stare at the man wide-eyed and don't say anything.

"I'm so sorry. Can I please have another one?" Tanjiro asks, apologizing to him.

"Are you gonna eat?"

"Yes!"

The man leans closer to the boy's face. "You promise?"

"Yes, I promise!" He asserts himself.

"Good! What about you?!" The man points at Nezuko. "You better take off that bamboo thing if you're gonna have udon! What the heck is it for anyway? Take these chopsticks!" He holds up a pair, and Tanjiro grabs his hand and orders, "I'd like a bowl! No, give me two bowls!"

"O-okay," He mutters and goes to prepare Tanjiro's food. I turn to the dark-haired boy and ask him, "Are you okay? What happened back there?"

He sighs before answering, "I...picked up Muzan Kibutsuji's scent."

I gasp in shock. He has a keen sense of smell? And Muzan was around here? I have no idea.

When the food is ready, Tanjiro is wolfing it down like a homeless person. I sheepishly tell him, "Slow down. You don't want to choke, do you?"

He ignores me as he continues devouring his food, finishing one bowl and starting the other. He finishes it in no time.

"Thank you for the great meal!" He clasps his hands in gratitude. "It was delicious."