Insignificant

Genre: Angst at the beginning, then a happy ending that I guess you could consider fluff

Words: 1398

Warnings: Mentions of violence (no detail though), mentions of bullying (pretty brief but yeah), self hate I guess?

If you were to ask Dan Howell to describe himself in one word, it would be insignificant. There was nothing remarkable about him. He wasn't important for anything or anyone. He was just there. Unlike most people, he fully realized that he had no meaning in the world. Humans existed purely to exist, no one was any more remarkable than anyone else. This was his way of thinking anyway, and no one could change that. It's not like anyone tried to either, most people just kicked him while he was down. That was just the way things worked, until Phil Lester came around.

If you were to ask Dan Howell why he didn't talk, he wouldn't answer. Why should he waste his breath on words when no one cared to listen? He had nothing important to say anyway. After all, he was just existing purely to exist. Words had no meaning if there was nothing important to use them for. Words became insignificant to Dan, just like everything else. Everything was insignificant, until Phil Lester came around.

Right about now, you're probably wondering about Phil Lester. Phil Lester was the exact opposite to Dan. He saw everything in a positive light. Everything had meaning and every single thing was important. Everyone and everything deserved a chance. He had always thought like that, and he never gave up. Granted, he had hard times just like everyone else, but he would pick right back up and try again.

Now, you're probably wondering why any of this is important. Why shouldn't this all be insignificant. Well, it was, until Phil changed everything. Dan was so close to giving up, so close to just running away, but then he crossed paths with Phil. It all started on a day like any other, an insignificant day, or so Dan thought.

Dan groaned at the shrill beeping of his phone, rolling over and slamming his hand onto it. It was Monday morning, one that any student dreaded over, and Dan Howell was no exception to that. Finally, after a good ten minutes of self debating, he dragged himself out of bed. He went through the same morning routine as always; taking a shower, getting dressed, straightening his hair, eating breakfast, and grabbing his bag. As soon as he finished, he was out the door and on his way to school.

"Look it's the freaky kid!" Dan rolled his eyes as he heard the same tone as always, he didn't even bother with learning the guy's name. His tormentors were just as insignificant as he was and nothing they had to say was important. He didn't bother with acting scared either, after all, he went through this routine almost every day with them. Still, that didn't stop the sharp intake of breath as his body collided with his locker. A punch was thrown at his face, and he chose not to comment on the pain of that either. If he acknowledged anything else they said, that would just mean another win, and he wouldn't give that to them. Punches, kicks, and slaps were thrown at him until he landed on the ground. He almost let his eyes fall shut, as he always did, but something caught his eye.

There, just across the hall, were a pair of strikingly blue eyes staring straight at him. Normally, everyone would just walk right past, but this guy stood there. The male looked confused, maybe even hurt, and that just confused Dan even more. He didn't have time to think that over though, before the guy was standing above him. Dan expected him to throw an insult or maybe even hit him, but what happened next was the shock of a life time.