I

Leafside was always a peaceful town. Not much going on here at all. Safe place to raise your children. Somewhere to settle down and call home. Now I'm not so sure anymore. Ever since that day they moved in. Everything went to shit...and I fell right into the madness.

I remember the day everything changed. I was taking one of my college classes on zoom. In the middle of my notes, I heard a loud beeping noise coming from outside. It was so goddamn distracting that I peered out my window to investigate. It was U-Haul truck parking right into the driveway next to my house. Must be the new neighbors. The prior residence moved out a couple of months back cause of family issues. But, why were they moving so early? It's hard enough focusing on algebra II. I suck at math. Then there were loud voices coming from outside. I peeked out the window again to see two men laughing while bringing boxes into the house. They both had fluffy brown hair and an athletic build. Very attractive men too. Roommates? Siblings? All I know is that they were too damn loud. "Focus" I mumbled and went back to my computer.

These math equations were kicking my ass. I was in my sophomore year of college and how it's going, might be my last year. Being on campus the first year led me to drinking entirely too much. There wasn't a day I wasn't drunk. Partying and drinking 24/7. My counselor told me if I didn't get my shit together, that I would fail and be kicked out. Knowing my parents, that wasn't an option. So, I secretly checked myself into rehab for summer break. Lying to everyone around me, saying I went to the Caribbean for 3 months. So, now I live in my childhood home. My parents moved out and gave it to me as a present. Not the prettiest house, but at least it's all to myself. My reminiscing was cut short when I heard knocking on the door. This early? I went downstairs and answered it to see this tall man standing there. It was one of the guys next door.

He had a scruffy beard which made his smile all that more appeasing. "Hey, I'm your new neighbor", he said with a toothy grin. "Oh, yeah I saw you guys move in this morning", I noted. "Yeah me and my younger brother. I'm Marko", he introduced himself. "My name's Kai. Where did you move from?", I asked. "Somewhere that isn't here", Marko smirked. Secretive isn't he. What's he hiding? "Wherever you're from, I'm sure you'll like it here. It's quiet, peaceful, and the people are super nice", I assured him. His eyes focused on me as I spoke. Awkward silence filled the air as he stared at me. "Well...I um have to finish up some work. It was nice meeting you,".

"You mind showing me around neighborhood?", Marko asked. Something about his eyes almost made it seem like a demand. "I'm sure you and your brother can find your way around. I have class", I said slowly closing the front door. Abruptly, his hand slammed my door back open. "Well that's not very neighborly of you", Marko stated. My heart began to race as his gaze sank onto me. Can't this guy take a hint? "Marko, what're you doing?", I heard a voice call for him. "Just saying hi to the new neighbor. Kai was your name right?", he asked steadily watching me. I reluctantly nodded and noticed another man approach my doorstep. "I'm sorry my brother is being a creepy little shit. He has poor social skills. Actually, he sucks at everything he does. I'm Max by the way", the man said. His face was clean shaven compared to his brother, but they both had that brown fluffy hair. I noticed Marko glaring at his brother while Max simply smiled. "You're no fun. There's nothing to play with in this fucking town", Marko muttered and walked off. Play...with? "Like I said, real fun guy", Max laughed. "I have to get back to class", I said. "So you're a student. What're you studying?", he asked. "I'll tell you another ti-," "Can I come in?", he asked. "Hmm? Oh, sorry I really have to finish this paper. Welcome to the neighbor...hood", I stammered. His friendly smile slowly faded as leaned closer to my face. The face he made reminded me of his brother, but made my skin crawl even more. It was menacing and cold. How could it switch in just two seconds. He then grinned again, looking me up and down. "Yeah. I'll be seeing you around...Kai", he said softly and jogged off. I hadn't noticed till he was gone, I was holding my breath.