Somehow, I settle back into reality. All of that feels like a lifetime ago, and I'm no longer the broken and bruised and mad-at-the-world girl I once was. In fact, the woman I am now probably wouldn't even recognize her. Now, I have everything I ever dreamed about. A beautiful daughter, a popular bakery, a giant house in the suburbs, and a safe, predictable husband with a last name that doesn't instill fear in everyone who hears it. But even with all of that, as I pass by the sprawling estates and luxury buildings on the way to Allenbrooke Academy, I can't help but feel like a fake. Can everyone here see what an imposter I am?

Before I get out, I give myself a once over in the mirror, rubbing at the swipe of pink frosting across my jawline. It's leftover from the three tier, intricately feathered pink Flamingo cake I finally finished this afternoon. It's a minor miracle I made it by the deadline, but even I was impressed with the finished product and I'm a notorious a perfectionist. After working on it all week, I'm looking forward to a little time out of the kitchen this weekend.

Allenbrooke Academy is like a mini college campus, and as I make my way across the lawn, I'm still in awe of it. I cringe each month when Mike signs the tuition check, realizing it could pay for a small apartment in the city even though she's only in preschool here a few days a week.

Harper's class is already coming out the building by the time I get over there, and the second our eyes meet, she comes bounding down the pathway--a mess of wild, dark curls with a backpack too big for her tiny body and overflowing with at least thirty new art projects.

"Mommy!" She leaps into my arms. "I missed you!"

"I missed you, too, baby!" I kiss her rosy cheeks, squeezing her tight into my chest. "Did you have a good day at school?"

"The best!" She beams. "Miss Abby says I'm an artist! That's a person who colors all the time!!"

"You definitely are an artist." I laugh, seeing her down and taking her hand. "What do you say we stop and get some pizza on the way home for dinner? Daddy will be home soon!"

"Yay, pizza!" She cheers, bouncing along next to me. We're almost to the car when a voice calls out from behind us.

"Hi Liz!" I turn to see another mother from Harper's class. She's the head of PTA, and nauseating to be around, but I plaster a fake smile on my face and give her a little wave.

"Hi Jenn,"

"Just wanted to thank you again for offering to make the cupcakes for Teacher Appreciation Day next week. You know how much everyone loves your strawberry sweet cream."

Damn it. With the Flamingo cake monopolizing all of my time this week, I completely spaced it. "Absolutely! I'll have them here Tuesday!"

"Could we do Monday?" She scrunches her nose up. "I only ask so we can make sure everything is organized. I just hate to be rushing at the last second—you understand where I'm coming from, right?"

I don't understand where she's coming from, but I don't say it out loud. Jenn is usually the one barking out orders at others instead of participating in the work herself. I've never seen her rush anywhere at all.

"Monday is great." I smile. "See you then."

So much for getting some time out of the kitchen this weekend.

"Come on, bug." I reach for Harper's hand. "Let's go!"

By the time Harper and I get home with pizza, Mike is already there. He stands on the front porch with a big goofy grin on his face, waving wildly and I can't help but laugh.

"Hi Daddy!" Harper cheers, racing up the steps and catapulting herself into his arms. He scoops her up with ease and takes the pizza box from me, before swiping a kiss across my cheek.

"Hello beautiful girls! How was everybody's afternoon?"

"I had so much fun." Harper chirps. "I made you a picture you can hang at your office. Its of you and me and mommy."

"I can't wait to see it." Mike grins and sets her on the ground as we all move into the house. "And how about you? Get the cake done?"

"Barely." I let it a sigh. "And just in time for Jen to remind me that I committed to making a hundred cupcakes for the school on Monday."

"Sounds like that will be a fun project for all of us this weekend. I'm up for taste testing—how about you, Harps?"

"Yes!!!"

A smile pulls at Mike's lips as he wraps his arm around my waist. My heart skips for a second, and it's not because of his sweet gesture. It's the feeling of guilt I have for not telling him about my near panic attack earlier. He's my husband and I should be open and those things, but no matter how considerate and supportive he is, I've always got him at an arm's length.

I get the sinking feeling he knows something is off, but he doesn't ask and I don't tell—like usual. Mike and I are good on the surface. That's where we work, and I'm not about to rock the boat  by throwing something deeper into the mix. There's no way he'd see me the same once my secrets were out there, and there would be no taking it back.

We eat our pizza and once we're done, Mike text Harper out into the backyard to play. I love watching them together, and I'm thankful every single day that I found someone like him. He's safe and sweet and he gives us the life I always wanted for my children. In fact, watching this has me considering another. Mike's been talking about another baby for months, but my entire life I've been conditioned to think that things are only good for so long. After four years together, I finally feel confident it won't be that way this time, and the idea makes my stomach flutter.

They play tag until Harper is completely exhausted, and I follow him up the stairs as he carries her to bed. When she's asleep, we sneak back downstairs and into the kitchen.

Mike's hands are on my shoulders, his thumbs digging into my knotted muscles. "How about I pour us some wine and you pick out a movie?"

"Sounds perfect." I spin around, angling my body into his as I trail my fingertips along his smooth jawline. "Unless you're in the mood for something else..."

He picks up on my cue, resting his forehead against mine and tucking a curl behind my ear. "I was hoping you were going to say that..."

Mike lifts me up and sets me on the kitchen counter, spreading my knees as he leans forward against me. He presses a hungry kiss to my lips and then works his way to my neck and then to my shoulder as his hands slip underneath my sheet. My fingers tangle in his hair as I feel every bit of stress I have starting to melt away.

"Mmm." I moan, letting my head fall back as he fumbles with the clasp of my bra.

"Maybe we should take this upstairs."
He says, tugging me off of the counter and taking my hand.

Right then, the doorbell rings, cutting right through the sexual energy.

Mike groans, rolling his eyes. "Go. I'll get rid of whoever it is and meet you in bed."

I nod, heading up the stairs.

While I wait, I take my clothes off and lay back onto the bed. It's takes longer than I expect, and in frustration, I grab my robe and slip it on to go investigate. Maybe Mike hadn't been able to shoo the visitor away. Its a little late for salesmen, but I don't have any clue who else it could be.

Coming around the corner, I hear two muffled voices. One is Mike, but the other....

No. It can't be.

When I get to the top of the stairs, I see him.

Jax Hale standing in my foyer with Mike.

Ex husband facing new husband.

Past versus present.

I must gasp out loud, because they both look up and a snug smile sweeps across Jax's face.

"Hi Lizzie."