Chapter One - Dragons

Way out in the ocean, in the middle of the sea, stood an island. It was peaceful for the moment, and dark, with ominous black clouds drifting across and shrouding the full moon.

This... is Berk.

The island was silent, too, as silent as though the whole world was holding its breath, waiting for something to come.

It's twelve days north of hopeless and a few degrees south of freezing to death.

The island's nerves seemed to be jangling, and the time had nearly come. The vikings on the island were going about their everyday business, in and out of newly-built houses, but at the back of their minds, they were waiting for the time to come, too. All the cottages, huts, and foundations were fresh, even though vikings had been living at Berk for centuries.

And why?

Because of them.

It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery.

The island's nerves seemed to be jangling, and the time had nearly come. The vikings on the island were going about their everyday business, in and out of newly-built houses, but at the back of their minds, they were waiting for the time to come, too.

The village has been here for seven generations, but every single building is new.

Gobber, inside his blacksmith building, wondering when the time would be here. Stoick, too, waiting.

We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets.

Hiccup, simply Gobber's assistant, but also waiting... Is this the night? What will come next?

The only problems are the pests.

"Baa." A sheep bleated openly as it chomped sullenly on the grass. The sound rang through the still night.

Suddenly, there was a whoosh of wind, a flash of wings... and the sheep was hoisted upward and out of sight.

Most places deal with mice or mosquitoes and such.... Not us. We have—

Deadly flames shot at an open doorway. An undersized, slightly scrawny boy slammed it shut.

"Dragons," he breathed.

They were there, and the vikings sprang into defense.

Hiccup leaned against the door, slightly relieved and a little sullen that he was cooped up inside.

Fire torched from mouths of monstrous beasts tore through the village, tearing down houses in construction and finished houses with vikings inside. Then they were after individual vikings, and even if they ran out of fire, they could carelessly tear apart the vikings, through their armor, as though they were rag dolls.

This was why Stoick didn't want Hiccup out there, helping drive the creatures far away from their homes. This... and one other thing.

Vikings weren't murderers. They protected themselves. The dragons always attacked first, so that made them the murderers, as every viking always thought whenever their sword or axe took the life of yet another dragon.

Hiccup had never killed a dragon. Chief Stoick had never let him out when the dragons were here. He had his excuses— "You need to man the fort, Hiccup"— but Hiccup knew that it was really because his father didn't trust him to not mess up.

By the way, the name had a story. Vikings believed a hideous name would frighten off gnomes and trolls. As if the vikings' charming demeanor wouldn't do that. Hiccup knew people like Fishlegs and Snotlout. It was all ordinary.