18 ✦ 𝐺𝑖𝑙𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑜𝑦 𝐿𝑜𝑐𝑘ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑡

Start from the beginning

“-- ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED -- YOUR FATHER’S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT’S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE’LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME.”

A ringing silence fell. The red envelope, which had dropped from Ron’s hand, burst into flames and curled into ashes.

Crystal and Ron sat stunned, as though a tidal wave had just passed over them. Crystal still felt her ears ringing. A few people laughed and, gradually, a babble of talk broke out again.

Harry and Crystal felt guilty for Mr. Weasley. They could only imagine what he must be going through.

Hermione closed Voyages with Vampires and looked down at the top of Ron’s head.

“Well, I don’t know what you expected, Ron, but you --”

“Don’t tell me I deserved it,” snapped Ron, "Harry, get this over with!"

Ron nudged Harry to open his letter too which was almost crumbled and slightly wet with the sweat in his hand.

Harry gulped and opened the letter with trembling hands, still shocked from the Howler ringing in his ears even after covering it. He read it loud enough for Crystal to hear:

"Harry and Crystal,

We have cancelled both of your skiing trip over the Christmas holiday this year as a punishment.

Your dad and I are very disappointed (Yes, he is). It was very dangerous to pull off that stunt. You could have owled us. Reflect on your mistakes both of you and write back to me if you both got any injuries.

Love you both,
Mum

"There's a PS at the bottom, Harry," Crystal said as she read over his shoulder standing behind him.

"PS: I stopped your mum from sending a Howler so as a reward for the favor I did to you son, I somehow convinced your mum that we do not cancel our trip. Our means your mum and dad.

So Lily and I are still going on skiing trip. Enjoy your detentions and reflect. Yes, I was disappointed too, very much ;)

- With Love, dad ;)"

"Dad . . . Thanks for not sending Howler but he's really a great opportunist . . . " Harry said faintly and sighed, "They just cancelled our trip which we planned for days, Crys! I'll show this PS to mum. I bet he wrote it in secret just to make us jealous!"

"Be grateful you didn't get any Howler!" Ron snapped.

"Harry . . . you know Uncle James just likes to tease us. Besides, it's a punishment, we did do wrong so let's just accept it," Crystal patted his shoulder and went back to her seat.

They had no time to dwell on this; Professor McGonagall was moving along the Gryffindor table, handing out course schedules. Crystal took hers, they had double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs first.

Harry, Ron, Crystal and Hermione left the castle together. At least the Howler and the letter had done one good thing: Hermione seemed to think they had now been punished enough and was being perfectly friendly again.

As they neared the greenhouses they saw the rest of the class standing outside, waiting for Professor Sprout.

The four had only just joined them when she came striding into view across the lawn, accompanied by Gilderoy Lockhart.

Professor Sprout’s arms were full of bandages, and with another twinge of guilt, Crystal and Harry spotted Whomping Willow with several of its branches in slings in the distance.