"Has that actually happened to you?" asks Amy, horrified.

Kimberly nods. "Oh, yeah. Multiple times."

Amy only qualified earlier this year and is still learning the ropes. She's dedicated though, and a fucking fantastic asset.

"You off home?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"SLEEP!" orders Kimberly

"Please," replies Amy. "I need at least five showers before I can sleep."

Kimberly and I laugh the entire time we walk to the break room, amused.

"You're definitely much happier today," she says. "I've not seen you laugh this much in a long time."

I smile.

"It's suits you, Ana."

"What does?"

"Happiness."

Kimberly knows all about the effects of an abusive relationship. Her dad used to beat her mum before the pair of them got out. After that, it was only the two of them, and it wasn't easy. Still, Sasha—her mum—did everything she could for her daughter and Kimberly is now a testament to her. They look similar too. Same brunette hair and dark skin. They even share eye colours and more often than not get mistaken for sisters.

"Thanks," I say, feeling awkward accepting any kind of compliment.

Luckily, Kimberly doesn't push it and soon after, leaves me to get sorted for my shift. I love working at the hospital. For the longest time, this place was my safe haven. My escape. It's perhaps the only thing left in my life that still brings me joy. And for that reason, I cling onto it. My therapist doesn't think it's healthy. She encourages me to find other hobbies outside of work, but nothing else interests me. Maybe all that is about to change? Maybe Freddie can be my new hobby?

***

I just finish wrapping the towel around myself when there's a knock at my front door and I abandon my place in the bathroom. I'm expecting a delivery and I don't want to miss it. My hair is still dripping and the white towel I purchased from Home Sense last week barely reaches my thigh. Still, I proceed because I ordered a coffee machine and I'm determined to set it up and gain joy from doing so. I rang the store after work and paid extra to have it delivered straight to my door. My therapist recommends I do one thing a day that reminds me of my old self.

Today, I choose coffee.

"Just a minute!" I announce, fiddling with the lock.

I finally manage to relieve the catch and swing open the door. In my haste to see my new coffee machine, the towel I'm wearing gets caught on the handle and unknots itself. Slowly, I watch in horror as it leaves my body and lands in a heap by my feet.

Fuckkkkkkk!

"Do you answer the door like this to everyone?" asks Freddie, holding a large box of pizza and a bottle of wine.

I quickly close the door in his face.

"Anastasia—"

I grab my towel and reposition it around my body, making sure to secure it a lot tighter this time.

"Anastasia!"

He bangs on my door in desperation.

"Ana—"

I open the door again, finding him stood with one arm suspended mid-air, as though moments away from knocking again, and the other covering his eyes.

"You can look," I inform.