Chapter 1: Unique

Start from the beginning

I pick up the empty hair dye box not bothering to respond to Adair as I throw it away.

He knocks again. "Open the door." He commands his voice becoming cold.

"Fuck you." I sing, playing with my bang in the mirror. "That 'scary' tone doesn't work on me."

"You are such a brat."

"Suck my dick, idiot." I reply quickly, not even bothering to think about reply as I hop onto the counter, deciding to abandon my styling tasks to mess with my fourth oldest brother.

Silence is the only response I get, and I know I've either lost him to whatever world he was trying to escape to in his book or I had gotten under his skin and he was glaring at me now.

The sound of a book snapping shut captures my attention. Yep. He was glaring at me.

"I'm not an idiot you illiterate pig. You wouldn't know shit from shampoo if I explained to you that both would still makes you look like a repulsive reptile. I'm way smarter than you and more mature, you incoherent asshole. I don't even know why I'm having this conversation with you right now. It's literally killing my brain cells. You're stupidity might actually kill me. And they say being a dumbass isn't contagious. Congratulations Asher you have proved that theory wrong. I hope you're proud of yourself." He draws in a deep breath that I can hear clearly through the door. It's followed by the rapid angry flipping of pages.

I can't help the laughter that burst from my mouth. Tears come to my eyes as I fall from the counter landing on the floor in a heap. He's way too easy to mess with.

"Shut up, you sound like a baboon."

"Woah, what's wrong with you? Is Ash still in the bathroom? You look like you're about to have a heart attack. He's been in there for a couple hours now. You look like you need a chill pill. Do you want me to give you head or something?" I can tell by the lack of consistency that it's Rueben who's speaking.

"No Rue I'm fine. But, yes, that idiot is still in there." Adair says, the anger in his voice nearly gone, his attention probably back on his book.

"What are you doing in there? Are you masturbating?" Rue bangs on the door loudly making me jump from my position on the ground. I glare at the door.

"No, I'm not masturbating stupid."

"Hmmmm, okay then, what are you doing? Are you constipated? It was Oscar's turn to cook last night. I don't blame you man, I know how you feel."

"No I'm not constipated either! Go away!" I roll my eyes at the door before crossing my arms over my chest.

"Is Ash still in there?"

A soft fragile sounding voice barely makes it past the solidness of the door, and I find myself straining to hear. "I hope he's okay, he's been in there for a while." The voice is careful as it pronounces its words almost like a flightless baby bird scared to make a mistake and be pushed out of the nest. It's so innocent and clear. So clear that I can hear the melancholy ring of depression that seems to hollow out most of his words.

I bite my lip. I really hope he didn't want to come in here. I couldn't say no to him.

"Yeah he's masturbating." Rue's cheeky voice is such a cheerful contrast that I can't even find time to form a scowl at his words.

"No, I'm not!" I yell after a while, and I can hear Rue chuckle from outside.

The sound of light knocking catches my attention. "Can I please come in Ash? I have to pee really badly." Oscar's dainty voice asks.

Dammit.

"Fine, but only you Ozzie. Tell them to get back."

"Ummmmm...okay. Get back...I guess."