Chapter Seven: Something More

I arrived at the park at 4am. I did a quick scan of it's entirety before taking a seat on a bench near the street. It was still too early for people to be out walking, so I had the area to myself. A few minutes later I felt a presence behind me.

    "John?" I presumed, turning my head to the side. The man standing behind me circled to my front and looked me over.

    "Jane Doe. Let's get started."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    It was now 6am and I was driving a beat up old car along a fairly deserted road. I had seen an older man walking his dog a few minutes back but nothing since then. I pulled to the side of the road along a shabby convenievence store and left the engine running. I sat back in my seat and waited.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    At exactly 6:37am I saw the car I wanted. Switching into drive I pulled out onto the road in a casual manner. Within seconds the car had caught up was about to pass me when I suddenly swerved, blocking the narrow road with my car. Another car, driven by John, pulled up and turned, blocking the rear and boxing my target in. I knew John would take care of the passenger, so it was up to me to disarm the driver. As he was exiting the car to come and see what was going on, I quickly slid into the passenger seat and slipped out the door. The driver continued to approached the car while I sneaked around the back to catch him by surprise. When he saw me out of his peripheral vision he started to reach for the bulge in his jacket but didn't have a chance to grasp the gun before I reached him. He wildly swung out at me and I quickly ducked, then grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back. Before he had a chance to react, I used my free hand to smash his head off the top of my car. I watched as his body slumped to the ground. I turned to see John beside me, a grim expression on his face.

    "Come," was all he said. I followed him to the car that we had caged in and looked in the back seat. There was the passenger, Dakota Black, strewn across the seat unconscious. I looked at John for an explanation.

    "I didn't kill him," he said." He must have taken something before I was able to reach him." I leaned against the car, wondering what was going on. Before I had time to think about it too much John and I decided it was best to vacate the areas as soon as possible. John moved Black and the driver into his car before driving off. I got back in my own car and parked it in an inconspicuous area before walking back to Black's car. As I got in and began to drive, I couldn't get my mind off why Black would kill himself. I turned the corner with a feeling of dread. There was more to this then we knew.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

     It was 5am Monday morning. I hadn't been able to sleep at all through the night, my mind running in circles. As I poured myself another cup of coffee I reviewed my report of Saturday's events before hitting send. I had no way of contacting John or my boss, and this stressed me out. I sat thinking for about an hour before deciding I was getting no where. If something really was going on, I would find out eventually.