14 | Birthday Letters

Start from the beginning

Mia | POV

"Sophie!" I called out, waving to her. She smiled and hurriedly walked to Miss Mendes who seemed unpleased that she was late for the first day of rehearsals. They talked for a little while, then she comes to the stage and gives me a hug. "Congratulations on getting the lead role." She smiles. I hug her back. "Thank you. Did miss Mendez grill you back there?" I looked at her and she smiles shyly. "A bit. I guess Calum overslept, I had to take the bus because he didn't show up to pick me up." She frowns. 

"Oh, well, at least you're here now." I smile. She holds my hand for a brief moment. "Congratulations again, I've to go to the dressing room to have my measurements taken." She says. I say a quick thanks and she leaves. 

After three scene rehearsals, we were given thirty minutes to take a break. I can see Harry in the front row with some water, I jogged down the stairs to meet him. "Hi." He says, gently pulling me into an embrace. "You look pale today." He says as we sat staring at the stage. "Everyone says that." the bottle clicks as I twist the cap open. 

I was leaning on the chair as Harry rested his elbows on his knees and stared at me. He tilts his head. I raise my eyebrows at him and he raises his too, mirroring my expression. "You're extra pale today, are you sure you're okay?" He puts his hand over mine. "Why are your hands cold?"

I shrugged. "Did you wake up with a headache?" He asks and I look at him weirdly as I slowly nodded. He laughs and shakes his head and sighs with a smirk on his face. Now it was my turn to wonder and stare at him. I crossed my leg over my other and rested my elbow on my knee. My cheek planted on my palm as I asked, "What's with that reaction?"

I tries to stop a huge grin on his face, so he ends up smiling wide showing his deep dimples. "You're going to have your period in a few days." He answers shyly and my eyes grew wide and I can feel myself blush. "What? No!" I said. If only I could tell him that sneaking out to meet Calum was the reason of this headache. 

He stares at me, that huge smile not wiping off his face. "Oh my god, Styles." I was so embarrassed hearing the word 'period' from him. He laughs, his eyes squint and his dimples very visible, making me laugh too. "Since when did you diagnose period cycles?!" I started twisting the empty water bottle, deforming it. 

"Since Gemma happened." He smiles to himself. "Your girlfriend?" I ask him and he turns to me with his eyebrow raised. "You're my girlfriend, remember?" He chuckles. "We're pretending." I remind him. He nods. I can hear Miss Mendez call everyone back to the stage and resume rehearsals. "Gemma is my sister, well, half-sister." He says and I nod. "Oh." I tell him. 

"What are you still staring at? Miss Mendez is calling for you." he smiles. I nod again. Harry rests his elbows on his knees too and plants his chin on his palm. We were both leaning towards each other now, "I thought we were just pretending? Why do you stare at me like I've already swept you off your feet?" He wiggles his eyebrows teasing me. I felt a blush creep on my cheeks. 

I hand him the deformed empty water bottle and stood up. "Whatever! I'll be back." I tell him, waving bye as I walk back to the stage, but before I can be far away enough, I hear him mumble. "Snow White, more like Slow White." then I hear him chuckle to himself. I bit back a smile and turned around to see him biting back a laugh too, making me realize that he said it sooner so I would intentionally hear it.