❤️Chapter 2❤️ The Promise

Promises weren't made to be broken, but sometimes you can't stop it.
-Suzuki Aiko and Kenji Kido

AIKO'S POV

20 July 2033

I skipped happily to my secret garden and peeked behind my favorite spot. He was not there... I felt disappointed and sat down and waited for him. I have not seen him for a week, which made me feel lonely again.

Where has he been?

I was about to doze off when out of nowhere, I heard a familiar voice say, "Looking for me?"

I looked up and smiled cheerfully. It was him! I got up and greeted, "Good morning Kido-kun!"

He laughed and sat down next to me. He seemed much more approachable today. I smiled happily.

"What are you smiling about?" He asked.

"Well, I haven't seen you for a week," I replied, "Where have you been?"

"Oh, I was... uh... busy..." He said in an uncertain tone and looked away.

"Oh..." I said sadly and looked down. I fidgeted with my clothes nervously. I pondered on what to say in this awkward silence.

"Say... I have never seen you before. Why did you start coming here?" I asked, when I finally thought of something.

"Well... My mother used to bring me here before the apocalypse."

"Oh... Where are they now?"

"Dead." His reply was short and cold. It sent chills down my spine.

"Oh... Mine too..." I frowned.

"Oh lord. This sad face is bringing down the mood. Kill that frown and keep that smile on your face. You look prettier when you smile."

Eh? Kido called me pretty? I blushed and smiled.

Kido face turned into a bright shade of red and looked away nervously.

I decided to talk about things much more joyous. Like hopes, dreams, goals and problems.

I had fun talking to him, as time went by, Kido became much more open.

+++

21 October 2033

"Kido?" I asked my friend.

"Yes Aiko?" He replied, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Is it normal to be lonely?" I asked with eyes that have a tinge of sadness in them as I recalled the days before I met Kido.

"Why would you ask such a question?"

"Well... For as long as I can remember I have always been lonely... But you keep me company, which makes me happy, but you keep leaving..."

I hugged my legs tighter and looked down.

"Oh. Then... I won't ever leave you alone. You won't feel lonely anymore. I promise..."

I looked at him with hopeful eyes

"Really? You promise?"

"Yup..."

"Pinkie promise?"

I held up my pinkie. Kido did the same and linked his pinkie with mine.

"Pinkie promise."

"Yay~ I love you Kido!"

I pounced on him and hugged him.

He struggles to get me off and says, "Get off me. You are heavy."

"Never~" I grin mischievously. "After all~ you said you would never leave me~ So I can hug you as much as I want~"

"It's not like I am going anywhere, you don't have to hug me so tightly... I will suffocate..." He said, slightly breathless and did a struggling motion with his arms. I let go out of concern and apologized.

"It's all right, Princess. I won't leave you ever. I promised," he said.

"All right. What if you break that promise?" I asked and frowned.

"I want you to hate me," Kido said.

"Huh? Why Kido-kun!? I will never hate you!" I whined.

"Because, I will deserved it for breaking the promise and after that I will do everything I can to make you love me again," he replied and grinned.

"F-fine," I pouted a little and blushed. "I shall do my best to hate you then!"

He laughed and smiled mischievously.

It's a promise.