Chapter 5- Jet

We had been traveling for a few days through dense forests, trying to avoid the Fire Nation as best as we could. Sokka suggested walking for a while because Appa is too noticeable and that we should trust his instincts.

Katara leans forward at her brother and smiles. "Who made you the boss?"

Sokka points his finger at his chest. "I'm not the boss, I'm the leader."

Katara coughs a chuckle. "You're the leader? But your voice still cracks."

Sokka's voice cracks. "I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior," he then deepens his voice. "So I'm the leader!"

"If anyone's the leader, it's Venus. I mean look at her, she's a Kyoshi warrior."

My eyes widen. "Oh no, no, no. I could never be a leader, it's too much responsibility. In my opinion, I think Aang is the leader. I mean, he is the Avatar."

"Are you kidding?" Sokka scoffs. "He's just a goofy kid!"

"He's right." Aang responds, while hanging upside-down from Appa's right horn.

"Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader?" I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl."

Sokka's eyes wonder to me as he gets defensive from his sister's statement. "I've kissed a girl! You just haven't met her."

"Who?" Katara teases. "Gran Gran? I've met Gran Gran."

Sokka throws his arms into the air. "No! Besides Gran Gran."

I giggle. "Okay, Katara, leave him alone."

"Thank you, Venus." He then snaps his neck back at Katara. "Look, my instincts tell me we have a better chance of slipping through on foot, and a leader has to trust his instincts."

Katara crosses her arms. "Okay, we'll try it your way, oh wise leader."

Aang steps over, wearing a backpack. "Who knows? Walking might be fun."

After an hour of walking everyone begins to grow tired. "Walking stinks! How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?"

"Well I don't know, Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything." Katara sarcastically says.

My eyes roam around the forest. This place looks very familiar. I block out the groups voices but once I regain my focus, we walked into a Fire Nation campsite with a lot of soldiers; most of them are seated or crouched near the fire with bowls in their hand and a couple of them sit close to the tents, which have the Fire Nation emblem on the doorflap.

One of the soldiers has a patch over his left eye. They all notice us and get up.

"Run!" We turn to run, but a firebender blocks us off by setting the plants behind us on fire. "We're cut off!"

My eyes trail onto Sokka's burning tunic. "Sokka, your shirt!"

Sokka screams. "Get it off!"

Katara clears the fire off Sokka's shirt with waterbending.

Soon we were surrounded by the soldiers. "If you let us pass, we promise not to hurt you." Sokka says.

"What are you doing?" Katara whispers.

"Bluffing?"

"You promise not to hurt us?" The eye patch soldier laughs, suddenly he is knocked out.

"Nice work, Sokka." Aang chirps. "How did you do that?"