Untitled Part 1

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." 

― Benjamin Franklin

'You're not really going to do this, are you? '

Harry looked at Alex with raised eyebrows, but the question was rhetorical. Alex was his friend and he knew him well. They were lounging on a mattress in Alex's room playing on an old PS2 like they used to. But times had changed. The two unlikely friends were growing up.

Harry was studying hard for his advanced diploma in agriculture at Donster college. He had worked on his father's farm from an early age and he thought he knew all he needs to know. But his dad was not going to hand over responsibility (and income) without the formal qualification. And cars were expensive

Alex had been in foster care for as long as he could remember, but now he lived independently in a hostel. He had started a college course, but was not taking it seriously. It got him the student loan.

Harry shook his head again. 'You, - a responsible adult, telling spotty teenagers what to do!' The image made him laugh.

Alex looked up. 'At least I know what they're up to!'

'Yeah..., from recent experience!' They both snorted.

Despite his friend's scepticism, Alex really wanted to help out at the youth café, the 'couch potatoe' . He was looking forward to it! His head was full of ideas! And he was going to be responsible.

—————————————

Donster News, 20th October 2014

Two members of a local community group were arrested in Parliament Square, London, on Sunday.

The man and the woman, both in their thirties, have seemingly taken part in the 'Occupy London' protests.

They are also active members of the local community group 'Future Donster', which manages the new Donster Street Market and has started to receive support from Donster council.

Paul Borowski, the new chairman of 'Future Donster' says the group has no involvement with the Occupy London protests.

—————————————

The committee meeting was running late again.

'If you arrived on time...' Cllr Amanda Jamieson countered the muttered complaints. 'Ok, just to wrap up the last point, the committee for youth services will appoint Bob Branley manager of the youth café with the agreed allowances. Can you sign before you go!' Chairs scraped the floor as the committee members got up.

Bob Branley was the last person at his desk in an empty office. Cllr Amanda Jamieson signalled him to follow her. She turned towards her office.

'The 'couch' is your's' she said, leaning towards him as they walked. 'I have a volunteer in mind to run the café for you, Alex Brown, a boy we used to have in foster care. He'll be no problem.' Bob Branley quickly glanced up and down the corridor and closed the office door.

'I adore powerful women.'

'I know you do, but not here, darling.'

—————————————

Alex followed Mr Branley, or Bob, as he had introduced himself, through Donster's town hall building. He signed a piece of paper, which Bob filed in a folder marked 'couch pot - youth café - Donster in large letters. He memorised the emergency exits and the location of spare keys.

Alex's choicesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें