Chapter 9

The next morning, I was woken up by a bright light shining through my window, my eyes struggling to adjust to the brightness. I must have fallen asleep sitting in the window sill, lost in thought. I hurried and gathered my things, running to the stables to saddle up Alqua for the journey ahead to Helms Deep. As I was running down the halls, I saw Legolas walking out with Aragorn. Began to run slightly faster, trying to catch up with them, when Gimli stepped in front of me stopping me dead in my tracks.

"Gimli!" I shouted as I abruptly stopped.

"Listen, lass. I know what you were about to do, but do not say something like that in the face of battle. He will think you are only saying something because you may die." Gimli said to me as I tried to brush past him.

"Gimli, my friend, you have no idea what I was about to say or to whom I was going to say it to."

"You and him are just alike, you think I have no brain."

I grumbled as he began jogging behind me to the stable, desperately trying to keep up with my long strides. As I got to the stable, Aragorn and Legolas were exiting, Aragorn holding the reigns of Alqua out to me. I quickly mounted her, and followed the two of them to the front of the crowd of people evacuating, Gimli riding on the back of Legolas' horse. As we left the city, and were about half way there, Legolas jumped down from his horse and quickly ran ahead of everyone. I watched as he began firing arrows in the distance, and kicked Alqua in the sides, making her run to him. As I was within a foot of him, he swiftly grabbed the side of her reigns and pulled himself up behind me on her, continuing to fire arrows from behind me.

"Alqua, keep us steady." I whispered to her as I pulled my daggers out to kill the orc mob we were riding into.

"We are under attack!" I heard Aragorn screaming from behind us as Legolas and I were taking down most of the orcs ourselves.

"So now you act like you don't hate me?" I heard Legolas say as he continued to fire arrows behind me.

"I never hated you." I replied, jumping off of Alqua and onto the ground for easier combat.

I watched as Legolas jumped off of her back as well, as he guided her away from combat. He ran towards me, his own daggers in hand to assist me in combat. I grabbed his wrist, pulling it up so I could see it better, and to see if the bracelet was there.

"Vani! What are you doing?" He asked me as he jerked his hand away to continue fighting.

"I needed to see if it was true, but seeing as it is not there I am assuming it is not." I said as I began to run off towards the other men to help fight.

"Vani!"

I turned to face him, seeing him gently holding up the bracelet I had made, before shoving it in his tunic pocket. I smiled, quickly turning back to continue fighting. I was running towards a Warg, about to slice him to pieces, when I felt something grab my foot and pull me to the ground.

"You will die, she-elf. A slow, and painful death if I have my way about it." An orc spat in my face as he climbed over top of me.

I was struggling to reach for my daggers that he caused me to drop, when I finally was able to break free and run towards them my foot was once again grabbed causing me to start to fall down a cliff.

"VANI!" I heard Legolas scream as he reached down, barely grabbing my wrist so I didn't fall to my death.

I looked up at him, fear striking his eyes as he pulled me back up from the cliff.

"Ya know, for the best rider and one of the best elven fighters, you sure do come close to death often. Are you alright?" He asked me sweetly as pulled me into his chest.

"Thanks for saving my life once again. I surely would have been a goner if you didn't show up when you did." I said to him as I picked my daggers up off of the ground and headed to the rest of the men that were killing off the last of the orcs.

Aragorn ran towards me as the last of them were killed, looking me over for injuries. I laughed at him as I nodded that I was perfectly fine.

"I'm the healer, remember? Besides, Legolas saved my life for the second time during this long journey." I said to him with a soft chuckle.

"Well, I guess it is a good thing he is around." Aragorn responded with a smile.

"Everyone! We need to keep moving towards Helms Deep! It is the only safe place for us now. We are almost there, keep pushing!" I heard Theodens voice ring out.

I whistled, calling back Alqua to me and quickly mounted her once more, following the rest of the group towards Helms Deep. Legolas returned to his own horse that Gimli was attempting to control with no luck, and followed right next to me. I was zoned out, in my own little world, listening to the sounds of animals and small talk happening around me, when I was suddenly broke out of my trance.

"I only took it off because I was afraid of losing it due to the flowers being so frail." Legolas said to me, causing me to look his direction.

"Why did you keep it in the first place?" I asked softly.

"Because your hands were the ones that made it, and when you left it laying on that boulder I knew I had to take it and keep it with me."

"I made it with simple weeds, it isn't something that should be treasured."

"Everything you touch should be something to treasure, Vani."

I smiled to myself, a slight blush upon my cheeks, and heard Gimli softly cough behind Legolas.

"I can ride with Aragorn if you two want some time alone." Gimli said with a slight laugh.

"No that's quite alright. We will have plenty of time to talk in the near future." I responded, smiling at Legolas.