A Tale Of Dreams

I have a story to tell you, we begin... in the waking world, which humanity insists on calling the real world... as if your dreams have no effect upon the choices you make. You mortals go about your work, your loves, your wars, as if your waking lives are all that matter.

 But there is another life which awaits you when you close your eyes... and enter my masters realm. For he is the King of Dreams......and Nightmares. And I am their Keeper. When the waking world leaves you wanting and weary, sleep brings you here to find freedom and adventure. To face your fears and fantasies in Dreams and Nightmares that my Master creates... and which we both must control, lest they consume and destroy you. That is our purpose and my function. 

But perhaps I get ahead of myself, perhaps I should begin at the beginning when the Endless were created and were each given a realm to control. Yes, that is where I must begin, for strong as they were the young Endless soon discovered that it was not easy to both fulfill their duties and protect their realms. So, there were helpers made for them, each the perfect match for their Master or Mistress.

First, there was Fate made to be the helper of Destiny, her eyes glowed as she looked upon them before she knelt before her master. Then came Anubis kind eyes flashing and white hair shining, he moved towards Death kneeling by his sister's side.

Dream watched all this in anticipation expecting his to be next but instead, two figures emerged side by side. Cupid a gorgeous dark-skinned, red-headed female, and Gloom a handsome dark-skinned male. They took their place kneeling before Desire and Despair, and Dream frowned looking again towards the light the figures were coming from, surely he was next.

Instead out came Enyo a warrior female who moved forward drawing her sword to kneel before Destruction. A young girl with a smile came out, her name was Euphrosyne and her Mistress was Delight.

Desire looked to their older brother and smirked "Well Dream it seems you were forgotten."

Dream looked down, wondering why he had been overlooked when he worked harder than his siblings. Then suddenly the light shone brighter and a figure emerged.

Her name was Nyx. And now dear dreamers, I will let you see this story from the perspective of one looking in, as one watching this all play out. Dear Dream knew her name right away though he would later have to ask the names of the others. As she curtsied instead of kneeling Morpheus grinned because he knew, this was his helper, his partner, he knew her and she knew him.

 But the others tilted their heads slightly confused, all of their helpers were the perfect match for them in looks.  Fate was mysterious and her eyes shone with destiny inside of them. Anubis resembled the personification of death, with white hair and pale skin.

Cupid was seductive her entire body emanating desire, while Gloom himself was true to his name. 

Enyo was a warrior the perfect companion for Destruction, and Euphrosyne had what seemed a constant smile on her face and a sparkle in her eyes.

But the woman before them save for her pale skin was the exact opposite of Dream. Her hair shone as white as Anubis's own, and her eyes sparkled with kindness and mischief. While Dream was cloaked in darkness, Nyx was cloaked in light and on her side a sword hung, and then she spoke with a laugh like bells in her voice "Greetings Master, it is wonderful to finally meet you!"

And Dream gave a small smile before he replied "Greetings Nyx," he reached out taking her hand "come, we have much work to do."

And that was the beginning of a beautiful partnership, one that many of the other Eternals envied. Over time Nyx and her siblings would come to be called the Keepers, for they kept their master's realms while they were away.. Or for some too lazy to keep them for themselves.