✧and then there were three✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Yellow Flicker Beat - Lorde

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

For women in life, there is only so much that is guaranteed. To be wed off, be imprisoned in a life of domestic work, have children, and ultimately, death. The only equality women and men had was that one day they will be lowered into the cold ground and forgotten like the remainder of humanity had been before them. She was born with sadness inside her like her mother once said but a small flower of hope grew despite the sorrow.

Gwendolyn Stuart made a conscience decision as a young girl to work hard to give herself the life she deserved without the help of a man. She was lucky enough to be born into a house that valued men and women equally. Her mother and father loving one another with every fiber of their beings.

They instilled that hard work for a man was necessary but for a woman, it was obligatory for independence in the world they lived in. She got high marks in school and worked at a candy shop when she was young to have a bit of pocket change to go to the films with friends. She knew her parents were proud, they told her frequently with a kiss on the head and a loving smile. But the girl she once had been was not the woman she had become.

Gwendolyn opened her eyes at the pale yellow light that glimmered through her sheer white curtains, forcing her to leave her dream-filled mind and rise for the new day. Her calloused hands harshly rubbed the sleep out of her blue eyes with a solemn huff from her lips. Her head still rested on the pillow as her eyes traced the cracks in the plaster over her head.

"Oi Gwen, get up we gotta go now," her brother Malachi shouted from the hallway, impatience clear in his voice.

She groaned loudly before as her body sat up reluctantly and got ready for the long day ahead. Her brothers and herself were told to pay a visit to Birmingham that afternoon.

The three tried to live a straight life without the temptation of taking the dark path of life. The family of five became a family of four, and then there were three. Money was scarce after both their parents died and so, commenced their life of crime. Her two brothers being the brute force and her quick thinking worked behind the scenes to ensure no strings were left attached once the job was done.

Alfie Solomon was the gateway to their life of crime, taking in the trio after hearing the unfortunate news of the siblings being left alone without any guidance. Him being a longtime friend of their father, Alfie stowed supplies in the warehouse where their father worked. Over the years they formed a strong as steel friendship and he became an extension of the family that was there if the family required anything.

On the orders of Alfie, the three were to visit some razor gang to speak of an alliance in turn for more connections. The Jewish gang had it tough, Sabini taking more and more territory and jeopardizing the empire Alfie had amassed. Throwing on her powder blue dress and black leather corset before brushing some powder on her face she was prepared for whatever the day had to throw her.