Prologue

A/N Grammar horror incoming :)

PS no.1: this timeline is all made up, there is no indefinite season of any of the series 

PS no.2: characters not mentioned in the story are not mentioned for a reason

PS no.3: read 'Way Home' before this, or you won't probably understand some references 

PS no.4: change of names - Robin = Shade, Impulse = Void, Blue Beetle = Skydefender, Beast Boy = Wendigo, Spidey = Sticker, Nova = Comet, Iron Fist = Chevalier

PS no.5: on the beginning of each chapter will be a list of changed names, don't worry

'Twelve years passed, twelve years since the catastrophe hit our worlds. We didn't see it coming, but we should have. We were so oblivious, so oblivious...

We used to live in two different universes with different villains and different resources. Each of our worlds was special in its way. Their world was bright and less deadly. Our world was dark and extremely sinister. Their villains had borders while ours didn't. Our villains were mainly led by their own insanity and different mutation, their villains were led by vengeance and narcissism.

But then a crash happened. Crash of our dimensions. It was our fault. We made the portal to make our worlds closer, but it was too close.

It was like a scene from any catastrophic movie I ever saw in the cinema. Most cities fell, the water rose, forests became deserts, the weather went crazy, and people lost hope. And we lost everything. Our two worlds became one big disaster.

Cities that are still standing were secured by high walls to protect people inside. But a lot of them died during the first years, along with some of us. We lost friends, families and ourselves. The villains took over the world and ruled it. And us, heroes, went into hiding.

We still managed to cover most of the cities in smaller groups on secret bases. But we were always in touch with other groups in case of an emergency.

But after all these years we may have new hope. We found a way how to bring both worlds into their original states.'

The young man closed his diary after finishing the last paragraph. They were the first words he had written after several years. Although the old book was thick, it held only a few paragraphs in the precise middle.

He was a leader of a group protecting the city that was occupied by the Joker and Harley Quinn. In the beginning, his group had twelve members, but the hard times have taken five of them. Joker was cruel and anytime he got to any of them, he immediately executed them. But it wasn't only here, this was happening in every city where the heroes stayed. Their great number has shrunk by almost half in those twelve years.

Their previous hero nicknames had to be changed for their own safety. People knew who Robin or Spider-Man were. And citizens would rat them out only to save their own skin. This was the reason for almost half of the heroes' deaths.

The group's leader, Shade, formerly known as Robin, never recovered from any loss his team have suffered, just like any of the team members, but he, as the leader, felt the most weight of the guilt.

Today, the team has to reach the city's scrapyard for new equipment for the big plan about returning to the old worlds.