New Years 1939☆

New Year's Eve 1939

Havers almost tripped over himself on the last step, cursing violently, and he and the Captain immediately burst into giggles.

"I didn't know you could swear like that, William." The Captain said.

"Sorry, sir. My father and my uncle were sailors down in Bournemouth before we moved up to

Surrey when I was in my teens." Havers explained. "I picked up a few things."

"It's quite impressive."

Havers' grin was uncharacteristically lopsided, and the Captain blamed it on the alcohol. They'd had far too many glasses tonight.

They were carrying two bottles of cheap cider between them, taking swigs every now and then as they made for the front door.

"It's unfortunate that Smith and Reed had to stay here instead of spending time with their families this weekend," Havers said.

"But at least you have someone to spend your days with other than me." The Captain said.

"I've quite enjoyed your company, sir," Havers said.

There was a hint of indignation in his voice like he was offended that the Captain thought there was anywhere else Havers would rather spend his time with. It warmed his heart to hear.

Over the last week since Christmas, the Captain and Havers had found themselves in the Captain's office every night until late, steadily making their way through bottles of port, making jokes and getting to know each other better.

Their work production hadn't been as high as the Captain would've liked. But he was enjoying it far too much to care, in truth. Havers seemed to be right in that work was always more bearable with a friend.

The two stepped outside, immediately being blasted by freezing winter air.

"That's very kind of you." The Captain smiled. "I enjoy your company too."

They both took deep swigs from their bottles, and the Captain winced as he hiccuped.

His body felt a little sluggish from the drink and the night wasn't as cold as he'd anticipated.

Everything was pleasant.

The wind ran through some bushes and trees on the grounds, and the Captain could hear the sound of his and Havers' footsteps on the wet grass. He was glad for the sturdy grip on the soles of his shoes.

They made it halfway around the grounds, deciding to walk right into the field and around the boundary before something went wrong.

Havers stopped the Captain, a hand on his wrist.

"Sir, I hear something." He said.

The Captain strained his hearing, trying to focus on the sounds around him.

For a few seconds, all he could hear was the wind.

And then, something in the distance started growing louder. They both looked up, seeing some kind of dark shadow shoot through the air.

"Was that-"

"A plane," Havers said. "There's more!" He pointed, and the Captain saw three more planes travelling.

There were barely visible against the night sky. But they were loud, and they blacked out stars as they passed.

"There aren't any authorised civvy planes from local airports are there, sir?"