“…I’ll take you to the banquet this evening.”

Yu Duo snorted, “That’s more like it.”

—————————

That night’s banquet, as Fu Sinian had said, was a banquet with a strong atmosphere of business and commerce. The attendees all gathered into small groups of twos and threes, talking about either the development of their respective companies or the recent performance of the stock market. Yu Duo stood silently on Fu Sinian’s arm, and the red wine she picked up was taken away and replaced with grape juice. After about half an hour, she finally lost all of her patience.

She was bored and tired.

“I’m going to go sit down and rest.”

Fu Sinian nodded.

Yu Duo wandered away and found a rest area where she could sit down. After sitting, she began to rub her sore feet while regretting tonight’s self-inflicted hardship.

She had thought that all of her physical fatigue was already enough ‘retribution’ for her ill-conceived plan, but she never expected that the true ‘retribution’ was still on the way.

“Yu Duo?”

The Chinese words were blunt and choppy, with a thick western accent. The surprised voice then continued on in English: “Is that really you?”

As she looked up and saw the French man in a suit in front of her, Yu Duo felt as if she had been struck by lightning.

This person in front of her seemed to be Alex, the French man she had met and exchanged a few words with back when she was traveling during Fu Sinian’s disappearance.

This free-spirited and romantic French man had launched a fierce pursuit after her the day after they had shared a dance, and Yu Duo had been so frightened that she immediately left the country without saying good-bye.

It had been almost a year since then and, in truth, she had long forgotten about Alex. She really didn’t expect to meet him at this party today!

“You are…?” Yu Duo decided to pretend not to recognize him, “Sir, you must be mistaking me for someone else.”

In truth, Yu Duo felt that many foreign men looked mostly the same and she expected it was probably the same the other way around, and that foreign men probably couldn’t really distinguish between Chinese women.

However, Alex looked very serious as he responded. “Miss, have you really forgotten me? We met in France, remember? It was a romantic night, and we danced together on the middle of the dance floor, and then…”

He carefully took a small piece of brocade out of his pocket, and unwrapped it to reveal a single earring. “You lost your earring. I’ve been looking for a chance to give it back to you.”

Yu Duo’s eye was twitching. Looking at it, that earring really did look a bit familiar, and she suddenly felt terribly restless. However, she quickly regained herself, thinking it was better to stay calm and not to panic. In this situation, it would definitely be better for her to stay calm and composed than to futilely try to cover things up.

“Oh, it’s been a long time since I last saw you Alex. Back then, there was an emergency at home and I had to leave France in a hurry. This earring… thank you very much for holding on to it for me.”

“You’re welcome. It’s what a gentleman is supposed to do,” Alex looked around. “I wonder if I could buy Miss Yu a drink after the banquet.”

Yu Duo unconsciously rubbed the ring on her ring finger and was internally debating how to ‘casually’ show it to him when–