“Why is this relevant?”

Before the guy even has time to answer, Kade’s jumping to conclusions. Mind you, they’re the same conclusions I’ve come to and attempted to push away, but still... Kade stands up menacingly, glaring at the guy. “Get to your point, and just know that if this is what I think it is, I will not hesitate to hurt you.” There’s no need for Kade to mention what he thinks this is because I know what he’s talking about – especially since I’m thinking similarly.

When the guy (who I don’t really care to know the name of) breathes in shakily, I have a feeling that he knows what we’re both thinking, too. Fuck, this is not good.

It’s you, isn’t it?” Kade’s voice honestly scares me. It’s deep and still sexy, but there’s this very noticeable undertone of anger. Pure anger. It’s something that says ‘don’t mess with me’. It warns you that you need to tread very carefully on the ground before you, or a lot of things could go wrong for you. The odds obviously aren’t going to be in this guy’s favour any time soon... unless he manages to give a suitable explanation that also involves him going completely against Kade’s presumptions.

I don’t say anything, not wanting to anger him further, instead deciding to shift along the sofa and tug at Kade's hand lightly until he reluctantly sits back down beside me. I pull his hand into my lap, effectively calming and restraining him, even if only a little. I can tell he’s trying to restrain himself, too. It’s blatantly obvious that he wants to get up right now and punch the guy.

But I’m going to hear him out – even if it turns out not to be worth it in ten minutes time.

“Talk.” My voice is firm, but I’m trying to stay as calm as possible at the same time. I try not to let on the fact that this guy is both pissing me off and making me anxious. Although technically, there’re a lot of emotions and feelings swimming around inside my mind right now. Either way, this guy is the source of most of my inner turmoil at the moment – for the most part because of the way Kade is reacting to him, I suppose.

With my thumb running circles on Kade’s hand, I motion for the guy to speak, yet again. Soon, I’ll be shouting at him, if he doesn’t start explaining. I’m sure he’s nervous and all, but if he hadn’t done whatever he’s done in the first place, he wouldn’t be here apologizing, thus he wouldn’t be getting so worked up.

“It started the first day I noticed you two together, before you were publicly together, maybe even before you were together at all. I had ended up getting stuck at school, talking to a teacher about some of the lesson work, or something. Once I came out the room, I heard one of you shouting something at the other – I can’t remember what it was exactly – and then one of you started chasing the other and you both just ran straight passed me.”

He takes in a deep breath and I’m confused, as I’m not a hundred percent sure where he’s going with this. Kade however is practically seething beside me.

“And then I remember going outside, annoyed because the teacher had been a complete ass to me, and for some reason feeling slight annoyance at how damn happy you two seemed. I walked into the woods – there’s a pathway there that I take part way home. I was walking down the path, which goes passed the car park, and I remember seeing you guys laughing as one of you was tackled to the ground, and then it started raining and I was pissed off.

“Next thing I know, you’re kissing and I’m just there. I’m so completely transfixed by it, and then you’re on your bike, making your way home, me glaring at you because you’re so happy. I remember catching Justin’s eyes, the look of shock that came over him, and not realising why, before noticing that my eyes were narrowed. I didn’t mean to narrow them at you like that, I swear. I was just not in the mood.”

He stops there, pausing for too long – at least, long enough for me to grow impatient, and Kade to start squeezing my hand slightly in annoyance. “And?”

He takes in another deep breath, before continuing.

“I remember going home pissed off, and then seeing you guys like that a few times after. Just by coincidence, I guess. You were always the last ones out, and I always ended up staying behind to talk to those damned teachers.

“I guess one day I just, sort of snapped. I couldn’t take this pissed off feeling and the fact that you were always so happy, kissing and laughing when you thought no one was watching, like it was your own little happy secret. And it made me mad. It makes me mad.

“So, I asked someone for your number.”

Kade immediately stands up again, and this time I don’t stop him. I’m too stunned speechless to move. I don’t really know what to do, or to say, because I had hoped my suspicions wouldn’t be true. I, for some reason, don’t want this to be the guy who’s sent those messages. I don’t want anyone to be that guy. I just want for that guy to fuck off, leave me and Kade alone, and for us to never have to hear from him, or worry about him again. It’d be so much simpler.

But no. This guy has to come and fuck that up by admitting to sending those messages, and it pisses me off that he thinks he can just come here and apologise, especially as if he’s just going to get away with it. Sure, he said he feels guilty, but either way, he shouldn’t have done it. That way, he wouldn’t have to feel guilty, and he wouldn’t have to come here and fuck everything up.

Kade’s fist is tightening by his side and in an instant it’s being swung through the air at full force, connecting with the side of the guy’s face, an audible smack echoing through the air. I almost shrink back at the sound, before collecting myself.

As if realising what’s going on, I also realise that this isn’t right. I know that Kade’s angry, and he has every right to be – I’m angry, too, trust me. But that doesn’t mean he needs to beat up the guy. The one punch was more than enough.

“Kade, stop-“

“Justin, don’t.” His voice is harsh yet sounds strained as he attempts to punch the guy again, whilst talking to me. I grab a hold of the hand, just as the guy opens his mouth to speak, making Kade scrunch up his fists again.

“Let me explain!”

Kade swings his hand forward, as I grab a hold of his arm. I want to stop him – this isn’t how this should be going! I’m standing in such a position that when Kade’s hand swings forward, me grabbing a hold of his other arm, he ends up swinging around too far. The last thing I see is Kade’s fist coming towards me before my head hits the floor.

Somehow, I manage to stay awake though. Just. My eyes are closed and I find myself completely unable to open them, sort of unwilling to. It hurts too much even trying.

“Look at your so-called fucking boyfriend!” I barely manage to hear the words, everything around seeming to echo inside my head. Look at your so-callled- Look- Boyfriend- At your- Look at- It’s as if my mind is made up of walls and each word is bumping against each wall multiple times, creating a cacophony within my mind.

“Shit.” Shit, shit, shit.

I hear footsteps echoing quietly, getting quieter and quieter. And then a shout, which sounds like a whispered scream to me. “And just so you know, I didn’t write all of those fucking texts! I wrote one, then my fucking phone was stolen. I didn’t mean to glare at him that day, it became a habit. I didn’t mean for fucking any of this to happen! I want you guys to be fucking happy! Fuck sake.” A door slams, and then I don’t know a thing. Everything’s just... dark.