XVIII

Melanie

None of this was real. Rage was shot three times. His leg, left side, and shoulder. According to Cerberus the third shot happened after he was already down. The Red Skulls are nasty.

They hurried him into the house as fast as possible and immediately began working. Hannah helped remove the bullets while everyone else kept the wounds closed. It was awful. I could only sit back with Emily and watch.

It took a few hours for Doc to arrive. When he did Rage's wounds were poorly bandaged. I again had to watch him bleed as doc redid his bandages.

"Let's go get some food." Vanessa pulled me up. She tugged me towards the kitchen. I sat down on a chair while she made sandwiches. "Ghost was shot too." She said. "After I healed he went after the people in the orphanage I was held in. He got shot and came back to me with two gunshot wounds."

"You were in an orphanage?" I asked. She nodded.

Vanessa placed a plate in front of me with a perfectly made sandwich on it. "I had parents. Well I think. When I turned three they put me in an orphanage. Not really sure why, it kind of reminds me of Annie." Vanessa laughed. I smiled ready to hear Vanessa's story. "The only problem was that the orphanage wasn't actually an orphanage. It was a cult. They believed that they were the saviors of our time. They had a lab in the basement. They would make different chemical combinations and test them on the children. I was a favorite of theirs. I could withstand more." Vanessa pulled her shirt up to expose her stomach. A tattoo of a wolf covered her side. It was beautiful but a scar was slightly visible under the ink. "That's my mate tattoo. It's also the spot they would inject the chemicals. There was only one day of the week they would give me to rest, sunday. This was a religious cult so Sunday's were rest days. I knew that I had to escape. So when one Sunday came I hoisted myself out of bed, and while the adults were praying, I took the children and left. I was only seventeen so I couldn't do much. I ran to the police. They took the children to the hospital. However, I left. I couldn't get caught again. So I ran. When I was enough towns over I finally rested. I had no money so I entered a random shop. It happened to be Cerberus's tattoo shop. Ghost and Alpha were in there. I was still on whatever they put in me and very weak. Ghost immediately was with me. He was gentle with me and took care of me the first year I was there. I was terribly sick from withdrawal from the drugs. Hannah would visit me and teach me things. I knew Latin and I could read but very poorly. I could easily speak English but it was drilled in my brain to only speak Latin. Now I don't as much but I still can." Vanessa smiled. "But, I- I can't have kids." Vanessa said as tears brimmed her eyes.

"Is that why..." Before I finished Vanessa nodded. It was why she had seemed upset during Hannah's pregnancy announcement. "Does Ghost know?" I asked quietly. He was just in the other room.

"Yes. He is ok with it. He does wish he could have his own children but is up for adoption." Vanessa wiped her tears. She really was a strong women.

"Girls, Rage is awake." Zane said from the doorway. He was sweating and clearly was stressed. That wasn't good.

I got up quickly and followed him to a bedroom. Rage was lying on the bed with bandages across his abdomen, arm, and leg. He wasn't wearing a shirt sculpted chest was on view. I didn't care about that though. I cared that he was ok.

I moved my eyes to his face. He sure was awake, and he was staring at me, waiting for my reaction. I've never seen Rage show much emotion besides a smirk, but now he was scared. For what reason, I wasn't sure.

I slowly walked to the bed. His eyes following every movement. When I finally was standing one step away, I cried. I broke from my shocked state and finally felt the emotions rushing through me.

Rage reached a hand out for mine. I placed my hand in his and he tugged me to the bed with his good arm. He sat me down next to him and held me close, like he almost lost me.

"I should be comforting you." I sobbed.

Rage only pulled me closer. He let go for a second to sign something before holding me again. Everyone suddenly left the room. He must have asked them to leave. Or demanded, that sounds more likely.

"Don't cry." He said. His voice was a little darker than usual. Maybe it was because he was angry for being shot.

"You could have died!" I expressed. Did he not think him dying was bad.

"I'm here." Rage stated. He buried his head into my neck. His breathing was oddly soothing.

"Are you in pain? Did Doc give you meds?" I asked him. Rage only huffed. Not sure what that meant.

"I'm glad you're ok." He tugged on a strand of my hair. He was messing with it while he hugged me.

"I should be telling you that." I sighed.

"I've been shot before." Rage acted as if he was invincible. Like nothing would kill him. That's how he got the reputation he has.

"Never again please." I pleaded. I couldn't do that again.

"It comes with my job." He said. I knew that. I knew he would get hurt. I just never wanted him to. I like Rage a lot, possibly more. I just don't want to rush in. I still don't know a lot about biker clubs. I know little about how a mate acts or how dating works.

"Just stay in here?" Rage asked. He was really vulnerable right now and I could tell. That's why he told everyone to leave. I hoped they were doing alright too.