Where It All Began

Start from the beginning

Almost all of them asked what happened to Queen Sabine.

They were told that she was being kept safe in a secret location to protect her from Firmin Didier's obsession. And obsession that they confessed fully and completely to their people, sparing no details and keeping no secrets.

Everyone already knew that Jacques was a bastard. They had told them all as much before taking the thrones. However, by his request, they had kept his parentage secret. Mostly because he didn't want to have anything to do with the man. Anyone who looked at the two together would immediately know, but he wanted his only father to be King Robert and that was the end of the conversation as far as either of them were concerned.

But they realized as the trials started that such thinking was naïve. The people needed to know why he was dangerous and untrustworthy.

Jacques had been the one to tell them. Only he could do so. Detailing his mother's rape so many times to so many people had been draining on him in a way he would never let his people see. But it was over now and he could finally release that burden.

And Manon stood behind the settee, massaging his shoulders gently, telling him how proud of him she was and celebrating the good they had both done. Though it might not seem right to tell everyone a rape victim's story without her knowledge or approval, Sabine was in no position to give either and it was the best way to protect her.

Jacques held up his hand. Manon took it and let him pull her around to sit on his lap. He hummed contentedly, embracing her tightly as he rested his head down on her chest. She smiled, running her fingers through his hair.

"It's late, my king. Why don't we seek our bed?"

"Just a bit longer," he mumbled, squeezing her. His eyes not even opening.

Manon smiled indulgently, holding him close, kissing his head, stroking his neck. Though she was on his lap, there was no doubt that she was the one holding him.

She didn't know how long they sat there. Both of them had agreed that, for the sake of their own sanity, they wouldn't do anything for the rest of the day. There was no end of tasks for them needing to be completed to get the city back in order, to ease anger and tension that had cropped up between their own citizens, and to reestablish their power.

But that could all wait until tomorrow.

It had been a long week and, for just a bit longer, they needed each other.

When Jacques finally lifted his head, he looked fatigued. There were dark bags under his eyes that hadn't been there before and the weight of everything they had been dealing with was written clearly in the lines of his face.

But it was cut with desire that helped alleviate the burden. Because loving her was never included in that list of hardships.

Sometimes, Manon was the only reason he got through a day. Sometimes, she was the only thing that made it all worth it.

And maybe that was selfish for a king, but he needed something selfish, something only for him, to motivate him.

The love of his queen was enough.

"Have you heard back from Erec?" He asked, surprising her with the seemingly random change of topic.

"He's only waiting for our word on a date and he'll organize everything,"

"Give it."

She cocked her head curiously. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." His grip tightened on her hips, surprising her when he suddenly stood with her, turning them towards their bedroom. "I'm ready to have you only to myself for a time. I'm ready to start living this peace we've been granting to our people."