Chapter Forty-five

Start from the beginning

She shrugged and scratched behind her ear as she looked at the floor, "date,"

I burst out laughing. "No,"

Cara sighed, "see now that's not much of an answer either,"

"Unless he means he's bi?" Hayden said, "are you, bi? Jason?"

"Would you ladies just play your game?" They groaned but at least continued their game, "no," I looked at Kin, "and neither."

Then I connected our heads.

"Checking; one, two?"

Cara giggled internally and shook her head with a smile on her face. "Did you speak to, Doctor Carpenter?"

I looked at their game. This sad. "Yes, he doesn't want to go,"

They all quieted down. Not stirring. They were so excited to escape and live a normal life, Kin looked at them, slightly pouting. She turned her gaze unto me, "why not? Did he give an explanation?"

"The idea of leaving the hospital terrified him. They kill their staff if they move on,"

Hayden snapped her fingers and pointed at me, "that is unfortunately true,"

"But the town keeps us all safe," Kin shared defeated.

"He said; if that's the case, then why were we caught?"

She balled her hands into a fist. Just thinking back to that day makes even my blood boil. "Because of those stupid witches!" She sighed, "if they only protected their vehicle after they left the safe town, they would've never tracked us,"

"But, that doesn't matter. They still know where we from, they know the direction we came,"

She moved her piece, "no. To everyone not native to the town, it wipes their memory of it's existence. That's to keep everyone safe,"

"So," Cara spoke, "if we can ask, Doctor Hart if she still remembers and she doesn't, it's safe to go back?"

Kin grinned as she looked at the game, her piece was the closest to finishing. "Yes."

"Okay, I'll ask Doctor Hart. "

And I did. When we finished playing I headed to her office. Her door was closed so I knocked. She called to enter.

She smirked when she saw me and took off her eye glasses. "Jason, what a surprise,"

"I came to finish the game,"

She got up and brought the game over. I sat down before her, "who played last?"

"You did, Doctor, "

She made her next move, and I studied the board. I played and our eyes met. "Who taught you?"

"My dad, and you?"

"At first some lady at the orphanage, she's not there anynore,"

Doctor Hart bellowed, "oh, how does that feel? To create bonds and they just vanish one day?"

I didn't respond right away. I've grown accustome to it, I've made so many grown friends over the years that just disappeared. I figured that Im cursed to be alone. "I've gotten used to it by now. It used to pain me so to see them all leaving me. But eventually after a while I told myself to never get attached, it's easier that way. And it did help. I hurt less,"