1

I was rushing out the door like a hot mess. Coffee in one hand, phone and charger in the other, bag over my shoulders, jacket halfway down my arms. I didn't want to look unorganized at my interview, but I didn't want to be late either.

I hopped in my Audi and raced to the work space. When I got there, I had seven minutes to spare. Whew. I prepared my self in the ladies room and walked into a waiting room where I waited until a short and blonde woman in a suit called my name and brought me into a room. She sat down along with another older man and started asking me questions.

"So what makes you the ideal fit for this job?"

Under the table I was fiddling with my thumbs. "Well, I have been a writer ever since I was little. I published a short story two years ago about sports. Plus, I played hockey so I have a lot of background. It's just something I really love to talk and write about." I smiled, hoping they'd think the smile was real.

They both thanked me and smiled back. "Why do you want this job?"

"I think it's for the same reason that I should get the job. I really do think I can handle a position like this and I have so much background knowledge and passion for this that I think it would be a perfect job."

After a few more exchanges, I finally left. I didn't even notice how hot I was until I felt the sweat dripping on my forehead.

I was trying out for a job as a journalist for the Dallas Stars, you know, the hockey team. I have to be honest, I was eager for the job. I wanted it very badly. I had a lot of teams I wanted to work with, but I knew the Stars so well and they were close by that I decided they were the ones that I would give a shot to. Hopefully this would go well for me.

Later, I found myself on the phone with my ex at 11:30 that night on my couch. I hate talking to my ex, it's just that when there's no one to turn to sometimes I get too caught up and talk to him. His name is Tristan.

"So how'd your interview go?" He questioned.

"Really good. I'd say I would be great for the job. If someone with the experience I had walked in, I'd definitely give them the job!" I laughed. "I'm just kidding. I'm honestly unsure of what they thought of me."

"If I were them, I'd think you would be a great choice. You are such a talented writer, Madelyn." He said. I knew he was playing sweet, trying to win me over again. I played along, but I promised myself to not see him.

"Aww, that's so nice of you. Listen, I'm getting another call. Can I talk to you tomorrow?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Of course." He said.

"Bye," I smiled.

"Bye." He responded. I swear I heard a whispered I love you at the end, but I know I'm just hearing things. He wouldn't actually say that, would he? He was the one that left me!

I answered my other call. "Hey Madelyn. Sorry to call so late. I was eager to give you the news, but I should've waited. But at least you picked up!" He nervously laughed.

"Oh hey Tom!" I said into the phone. He was the guy interviewing me with the lady, Angela. "Did I get the job?" I asked.

"I have some good and bad news." He responded. I kept my hopes up. "We found another writer that had a longer background that we wanted."

I gulped. "Okay," was all I said.

"However, the Ottawa Senators had some interest in you. They said they would like to interview you. They gave me a one way ticket to Canada for you that leaves on Sunday. Would you be interested?" He asked. Moving out of Texas would be tough, but hey, there was no guarantee I would make the job.