The Gift

You're still not sure to this day if it was by chance or fate that you selected stone's number on that first try. Perhaps it was both. All you know is one moment you were sitting in the armchair, and the next you were plunged into darkness, falling from your seated position into a heap on the hard, uneven ground.

Fishing out a small keychain flashlight you didn't realize was still on your person at the time of your death (how you managed to bring something from the mortal plane with you into the afterlife was beyond you) you lit up your surroundings. Looking around, you saw were in a new infinite void, but instead of water the floor consisted of an even layer of hundreds of thousands of identical stones.

As if your situation couldn't get any weirder, there was a small box sitting directly in front of you, a tag hanging from it with your name (of all things!) scrawled across it in big, hastily written letters.

You stared at the box from where you laid for a moment, before pulling yourself into a sitting position and gingerly taking it into your hands.

Well. It's not like you have anything left to lose. You placed your flashlight in between your teeth in order to free up your hands, then lifted the lid.

Inside the box was what appeared to be some sort of vintage-looking radio watch, complete with a tiny digital display surrounded by a metallic silver inlay and miniature tuning knobs. The bottom half of the watch was decorated with the horizontal grooves of a speaker grill.

You readjusted the flashlight in your teeth before strapping the sleek device on, admiring it as it gleamed in the light. It wasn't in mint condition, but it was still really neat nonetheless.

Out of the corner of your eye, you noticed that the watch wasn't the only thing in the box. Placed flush to the bottom was a blue sticky note that read in the same hasty handwriting:

when you need to come here again: 713864950843883218972158619580770734586267510478086528132279435.1

You peeled the note from the box and read the words back to yourself under your breath, confused by everything. Shaking your head to clear your thoughts for now, you decided to just focus on the watch. Booting it up, the display quickly filled with a multitude of tiny numbers that were reminiscent of the ones on toothpaste man's radio. As you scrolled through the numbers using the tuning dial on the side of the device you developed a hunch that the two devices were likely one and the same. Your flashlight caught the glint of the tip of an extendable antenna peeking out from the top right corner of the device, but you decided to hold out on testing that feature for now so you could think.

You were sure the giant number on the note was the "frequency" of the place you were at currently, but why you would need to come here again was beyond you. Not unless there would be something – or someone - else here waiting for you.

Sighing, you folded the note and tucked it away. Even if you don't know when or why, it seems like you were going to end up back here at some point or another.

You turned your attention back to your wrist. If these numbers really were whole entire realms, free for the exploring... then explore you shall. You've always wanted to find out exactly what kinds of secrets the universe held. Giving the dial a couple more turns for good measure, you held your breath and yanked the antenna out with a smile.

Looks like death was gonna be pretty cool.