1.

BANG.

Jay Halstead woke with a start.

The nightmares plauged him everynight. No matter what, and it upset him to relive the memories from war over and over again. He heard their screams of pain constantly ringing in his ears.

Looking at the clock, he sighed when he read it at 0400hrs, earlier than yesterday.

He wished he could go one night without the nightmares waking him up. It had been a long time since the miltiarh veteran had had a full night sleep.

Deciding to just get up, the brown haired man got out of bed and shiffled tiredly to the bathroom, where he made quick progress of having a shower, brushing his teeth and doing his hair.

Military discipline had never left, and he did everything with professional intent. Even if it was just the dishes he was cleaning or doing his hair for work.

It was winter time here in Chicago, and the man could feel the cold even before the sun was up and out. Deciding to go with his cargo trousers, and a polo shirt with his fluffy fleece , Jay made his way downstairs and started making a coffee.

Once made, he sat on the chair, the stand alone chair as Jay never allowed people into his flat, it was his only safe haven, the one place he allowed himself to he vulnerable.

Soon came 0600, and Jay folded up the newspaper he had read three times this week, grabbed his car keys, work phone that was also his radio and walked out the flat. Locking it behind him.

Jay had become a police officer three weeks after leaving Military life, having served since he was 17, citizen life was not easy and even now after four years in the police force. He found himself missing the harshness of military life.

The drive to the 21st District was a short 20 minute drive, and the detective got lost in his thoughts once again as he always did. Before he knew it, he was parked up at the district.

But for the first time in forever he couldn't find the strength to go inside to his team in the Bull Pen.

A shaky shy left his lips, watching a guy he'd never seen before walk in with Trudy Platt, the grumpy yet ever lovely deak sergant. A nervous look on his face, plain clothes and Jay knew it was the new guy that everyone had been raving about.

Getting his phone out, with shaky hands, he messaged his partner in crime, Erin Lindsay, requesting she tell Voight he was here and that he needed time before he came up.

The vetern turned his on silent before she could reply back, as his breaths got slightly harsher, and the world started spinning slightly.

"Halstead, Halstead" a female voice shouted, the vetern was startled bit clamed when he saw the deak sergeant in front of him

Getting out the car, the man was overwhelmed with the flashback he had just had, tears started without any thought, and he fell into his desk sergeants awaiting arms.

"Hey, its ok, you're good" Platt soothed, guiding the veteran upstairs to where Hank Voight was waiting

"Ive got it from here, thanks Trudy" Hank said, smiling at the desk sergeant, motioning for her to shut the door on the way out

Turning to the sniffling dectective, Hank sat down next to Halstead, gently soothing his tense back. The veteran leaned into the guy that had become his father figure from the day he first stepped into the intelligence unit.

"Whats going on kid?" Hank asked softly, not wanting to overwhelm the man

"I'm just tired of this Hank, I want one night of sleep, just one." Jay whispered, rubbing his tired eyes and looking at his sergeant

"Jay, you look exhausted, how long has this been going on?" Hank exclaimed, eyes wide at how tired the man actually looked

"Months" Jay stated, shoulders untensing form being truthful for once

"You good to work, or do you want to go home?" Voight asked

"No I want to stay, don't tell anyone, please" Jay asked, fear back in his eyes

"Never" Hank promised

Once the veteran had calmed down, Hank opened the door and allowed the timid man to walk over to his desk.

Erin gave Hank a look, and he nodded before motioning they would talk later. Jay looked towards Erin, and smiled before mouthing a small thank you to the woman.

"Ok, so before we start the case, we have a new member to the team, Adam Ruzek is joining us from Violent Crimes" Hank said, motioning towards the good looking gentleman Jay had noticed this morning

"Our case today, is one we have crossed before, Greg Yates escaped from prison last night, and he left a note to say he was coming back for what is his" Erin said, and all coloured drained from Jays face

Everyone stayed quiet as Jay got up and ran towards the locker rooms. Hand over his mouth and face extremely pale.

"I've got him" Erin said, running after the man

Walking into the locker room, Erin felt nothing but sympathy for the veteran, who was sat over the bin retching.

As she made her way over, she noticed he was also bleeding, and looking further the mirror smashed on the floor allowed her to connect the dots without asking.

"Jay, hey, hey" Erin whispered, rubbing the mans back and grabbing tissues to wipe his mouth

"He's out, I can't go through that pain again" Jay whimpered, the memories of the whole ordeal flooding back

- FLASHBACK -
Jay woke with a groan, pain flooding through his body and all movement causing whimpers to leave tue veterans mouth.

"So sleeping beauty has finally awoken" a snide voice said, making Jay freeze

"What are you doing" Jay whimpered, freezing again as the man the team had been chasing for multiple deaths came closer

"Your scared, the poor weak solider is scared" Yayes snarled, sending a harsh punch to the soliders face and torso

"Stop, this isn't fair, let me go, please" Jay grunted, gasping as more hits where thrown down on him, crying out when he felt skins around his eyes starting to break

The assult went on for another hour, or at least that is what it felt like. Blood was pouring from all parts of the dectectives body, bruises were also appearing first.

The man knew that his shoulder was broken, and he had a dangerous cut above his eye. He started praying , praying his team would find him before it was too late.

Too late came though, the man was now curled up on the floor, naked, dirty, covered in blood and shivering in both pain and fear.

That was all he coukd recall before he feel back into darkness, and next time he awoke, it was to being beaten again but this time he was saved by his knight in shining armour, his father Hank Voight.

- Flashback -

"We will get him this time, I promise you, be strong, you've got us" Erin soothed, standing up when she heard the door open

"Hey, sorry babe, but Hank wants to know if hes good and we need to get moving" Hailey said, who was not only Erins work partner, but also her wife

"Yea he's good, we are just coming" Erin said, walking to her wife, and gently kissing her

"Jay, you've got this, we all got your back" Hailey smiled, the veteran smiling back