[10] 07.11.79

7TH NOVEMBER, 1979.

20:56, THE GRAB N' GO.

CAROLINE AND VANCE SHARE THEIR FIRST KISS.

It was Friday night, and Vance and Caroline hadn't left eachother's sides since they'd met at the bike racks after school that day. He'd been trying to teach her to play pinball, and she was failing miserably. Then she'd convinced him to take some photos together. Considering their closeness and Caroline's affinity to photography, they had very few together. The ones they did were pinned up on Caroline's wall.

After this afternoon: she'd gained one of him playing pinball, one of him teaching her; he'd stood behind her with his hands over hers, one of her sat on the curb; which Vance had taken for his own room, and one of them laughing together in the chocolate aisle of the grab n go. Frances had taken that one, after her and her little sister had come to get popcorn for a movie night.

They'd retired from the grab n go once they realised it would close soon, neither wanting to leave eachother, they sat in the curb outside. They couldn't go to one another's houses either: Vance's mother had work very early in the morning, and Caroline's mother was home for once in her life. So here they sat, slightly cold as they watched cars pass by.

"Do you ever wonder if you'll ever do something great?" Caroline broke the silence.

"What do you mean."

"Like, do you think that you'll just be another person that existed or that you'll do something that changes the world."

"I don't wanna do something that changes the world."

"Why?"

"That's a lot of pressure on one person. I think I'd be fine just living."

They sat with Vance's words for a moment, before he spoke up again.

"Do you want to change the world?"

"I don't know about that. I'd like to do something though, make an affect on someone."

"Well you've already done that." Caroline looked up at him, with eyes that asked him to elaborate. "You've made an affect on me."

"Really?"

"You've turned my world upside down Sanderson."

"And here I thought we were on a first name basis."

"Oh don't start now."

They laughed again, before silence filled the air.

"You made an affect on me too, Vance."

"Of course I did, I make an affect on everyone." He joked.

"Yeah well you made an affect that isn't just a permanently fear of blonde haired bozos."

"You're calling me a bozo? You're the bozo here."

"How am I a bozo?"

"You just are, KitKat. You just are."

"That's stupid."

"You're stupid."

"Nuh-uh."

"Yuh-huh."

Caroline and Vance sat staring at eachother, faces so close they could feel eachother breathe.

"I think you're the most beautiful girl in the whole world." He whispered, if she weren't so close Caroline wouldn't have heard it.

"That's so sweet."

She paused for a moment, as if to check nobody would here what she was going to say.

"I think you're the most gorgeous boy to ever exist."

Vance knew now, he was deeply in love with Caroline. No matter what he did, he couldn't escape it.

He'd love Caroline if he never saw her again from today.

He'd love Caroline if she fell in love with someone else.

He'd love Caroline even if he wasn't supposed to.

Part of Caroline knew she'd been head over heels for Vance since she's first met him. Just a small part of her. And she knew, there was nothing she could do about it.

She'd love Vance if she'd only see him on a Wednesday.

She'd love Vance if he fell in love with someone else

She's love Vance even if she wasn't supposed to.

"Can I kiss you?" Vance asked, looking into her green eyes.

And she had to think about it.

What if he kissed her, and then decided he couldn't like her anymore. What if they kissed and Caroline indulged herself so far into even maybe feeling love back that there was o return. But she wanted to indulge hetalrf. Even if at the end, Vance wasn't hers.

"Yes."

So Vance did, he tipped his head to the side, placing on hand on her cheek, the other supporting his body on the ground. He leaned down, and right as he was millimeters away he took a hard gulp.

Even if at the end, Caroline wasn't his. She could be, just for a few seconds.

Vance kissed her.

It was slow, and soft. The softest Vance had ever been. Caroline's face became so hot, Vance could feel the heat off her cheeks. He paid no mind, and focused on the way she kissed back. As if she'd been waiting for him to do it since they met, as if this was what they were always meant for.

They pulled away.

They were still close, looking into eachother's eyes. Caroline thought she'd sink, drown and die in his blue ones. Now she's gone too far.

Caroline had wanted too much.

Nobody loved Caroline Sanderson, not even herself. So why had she let herself feel as if someone did. She was so, stupid.

As Vance wanted to lean in again, to kiss her harder with all the emotions he had for her, every single piece of love. She stood up, and she ran.

Ran all the way home.

Leaving Vance alone, confused and slightly heartbroken.