Chapter One : Evelyn

That's Nathan Wilson above. ^^^

I just wanted to mention that this story consists of many flashbacks and they're usually written in italics

Chapter One

"You're still coming to the party with us, right?"

I smile at my two best friends Chloe and Aubrey, "Of course, I'll meet you guys there."

I walk into my dorm room, putting my bag on my bed. My roommate, Maya, looks up from her laptop and rolls her eyes at me. She never liked me, from the start. I walk into the bathroom and stare at my reflection, running my fingers through my hair sighing.

I hear vibration coming from the counter, as I pick up the phone I get a strange feeling in my stomach as I see the caller ID: "Mom" I swipe the screen and put the phone against my ear, "Hey mom, how are you?"

"Not so good."

"What's going on?"

"I have bad news, sweetheart," I hear my mother's voice crack as she says those 5 words. 5 simple words that when are put together, are the most nerve-wrecking sentence.

I can feel my nerves increasing as I clear my throat preparing for the worst, "What's going on, mom?"

"Evelyn, it's your father," as she takes a pause, I start to think of all of the worst scenarios that could possibly come out of her mouth next. Thinking about those possibilities makes my heart drop to my stomach, "Cancer's back. And this time, it's going to be harder to win the battle."

....

...

..

.

I start pulling up my pants up while getting jostled around. I finally get them on as I blow my messy wavy hair out of my face. I booked a train once I got the terrifying phone call from my mother.

This Christmas, I'm spending it with my family after not seeing them for almost 2 years. This might be my father's last Christmas. As scary as it is, it's a possibility. Me being a perfectionist, I will do anything to get back home for Christmas. Not making it home on time, it wouldn't just hurt me but my family as well. I put my messy hair into a French braid and sigh as I look at my reflection.

I keep hearing my father's voice in my head, "Don't cry Evie, just have a little hope."

I close my eyes as I start whispering, "Just have a little hope."

As I walk over to a booth to relax in, I hear chattering from every direction.

"Look at what the young teenagers are wearing nowadays, this generation-"

Well, you raised us..

"I'm going to see my boyfriend for our 4 year anniversary. He lives in Alabama."

Seems complicated.. 2,028 miles away from each other.

I sit in the booth and one of the waiters brings me hot chocolate. I thank him with a smile before he walks away. As he walks away, I sigh while looking out the window. I start to watch Utah's moving snow-covered trees and mountains. I start to think to when my father was first diagnosed with cancer. I was 13 at the time.

I'm driving around with one of my sisters Phoebe; who's 17.

"Phoebs, can you take Chloe and I to the mall?"