Chapter 2: Blue Eyed Soldier

Start from the beginning

"What do you think he looks like?" Enora asks Anja who hasn't stopped scowling at me since we walked into the washroom. She must still be bitter about the broken ribs.

"I hope he's cute." Osa chimes in. All the girls, except me and Yelena, begin to giggle. I can't help but roll my eyes. Here we are, about to see who might not live to see tomorrow and all they can think about is if the Winter Soldier's going to be cute. Can these girls get anymore pathetic?

"What do you think Natalia?" Hilma asks me with a smirk. Her black hair's in a messy bun and she looks at me like I'm just a toy to mess with. Every time I'd glance at her, even if it's for a brief second, she'd give me a sickening look of disgust. Now, she doesn't hate me because I'm the smallest or because I'm number 2 on the score list, she hates me because I embarrassed her 4 years ago in front of the chairman and 7 other Soviet leaders. It was a surprise visit from them, they showed up right when me and Hilma were fighting each other. That was our assessment for that month, it was against the other girls. That month 2 girls got taken out. When the program started there were 28 of us, now we're down to 14. After the assessment Hilma dragged me into the showers and beat me senseless, she of course got punished for it later. Ever since then she's made it her personal duty to humiliate me, whether it's tripping me in front of the officers or showing no mercy when we partner off. It was hell when me and Hilma were paired together a few weeks ago. It's like every time we get paired together she makes it even worse for me, but I can handle it, I wouldn't still be here if I couldn't

"I think we should be focusing on more important things." I say splashing water on my face, some of the girls scoff. When I pat my face dry and turn around, Hilma and Enora are standing there.

"You think you're so much better than us just because you're the chairman's daughter don't you?" Enora snarles. Not this again. "I'll show you who's better." With that she wraps her right hand firmly around my neck so I can't breathe. I don't react because I refuse to give her that satisfaction nor do I break eye contact with her.

"Enora, ladies, training room." Nikolay interrupts, appearing through the doorway. Enora releases her grip on my neck, looking me over in disdain, then stomps away. Hilma spits at my feet and follows Enora out the door. As I walk pass the other girls they give me no form of pity, not even Yelena. Good, I don't want it. I would rather stand out in the snow, soaking wet than have them pity me.

When we get to the 2nd floor everyone's at attention, it's so quiet you would think no one was in the room. I notice that one officer's sweating and his hands are shaking nervously. I catch his gaze and he gives me the most miserable look I've ever seen. We line up against the wall in alphabetical order and wait for instructions. I'm the last one in line. Leaning against the wall, I begin studying my feet. Who is this Winter Soldier and why is everyone so afraid of him? What has he done that's so bad, other than kill people; I'm sure he has. Killing is such a big part of our everyday lives that it's not much of a big deal anymore, the Red Room makes sure of that. I've even killed someone, I mean I didn't want to, but it was still by my hand. It happened when I was 13, it was a test to see if I could follow orders.

I quickly look up from my feet and catch a quick glimpse of black and silver flash before my eyes into the training room. When the room door closes almost everyone in the room starts whispering to each other.

"Vnimaniye (Attention), no one speaks to him unless spoken to. I will call each one of you one by one." Ivan explains. He walks down the line and stops in front of one of the girls who's standing the closest to the training room. "Donia Aabel, you're first my dear."

Donia's a tall, blonde haired, skinny, Norwegian, 18 year old. I don't think I've ever talked to her, even when we were paired together. She walks up to the door and Ivan opens it for her.