🌻Chapter 18

🌻

"I'm glad we got all the research squared away. Do you think it'll bring more life to your story?" Gulf asked.

"Oh definitely, but first, a drink!" Bright laughed brightly and drain his cup.

Reluctantly following his lead, Gulf brought a cup to his lips as well. "This is good---!" Gulf exclaimed in open wonder.

The saké had an excellent aroma and went down crisp and easy. It would be very easy to drink too much of it if Gulf wasn't careful.

"This is really great," Bright agreed. "It's got a good body and I don't know why, but it doesn't usually give you. hangover. I always wind up drinking away too much."

"I'll be careful."

Gulf couldn't hold his alcohol very well under normal circumstances. If he didn't pay close attention, he could very easily wind up drunk in front of the new author.

"You always do exhaustive research for your books, don't you?" Gulf asked.

"I suppose. I guess it's a bad habit of mine. If I get something wrong in my books, I jus can't let it go. It bugs me. People tease me about being more serious than I look."

"You really are very serious. But I think it's a good thing to go after the the truth."

"Oh, it's not that noble."

"Mister Mew does the same thing."

Bright looked impressed at the casual mention of Mew's name. "Really?"

"Well, I've only worked with him on one book so far, so I'm not an authority." Gulf said evasively, not wanting to get stuck in an awkward position.

Gulf had been in and out of Mew's house so many times that he knew better than anyone how much background reading went into a single story. Mew's elaborate stories and the unique rhythm of his beautiful style could only be what they were because of his successful research. They depended on staggering amounts of reading and knowledge. Mew never devalued so much as a single sentence of his writing. If there was something he didn't know, he wouldn't hesitate to use his connections to find it out from others.

"Has Mister Mew started his new book yet?"

"No, unfortunately." Gulf shook his head at the question, accepting the refill of saké Bright offered him with.

"Well, he's going to have a hard time writing something with as much impact as Emergence. Besides, he doesn't usually publish many books in a row with the same company."

"That's his policy. If he published too frequently, his popularity and quality would go down. Instead he takes his time to grapple with each work individually."

"Wow, so he even keeps his marketing under control?"

Gulf could feel himself becoming rapidly intoxicated by the chilled saké. The relaxing conversation after the exhausting tension of their drive that afternoon distracted him so much that he didn't notice how much he was drinking. In no time, they had emptied two bottles.

"Uh-oh. We need a refill." Bright said.

Gulf leaned back in his chair while Bright called up the front desk. A thin membrane seemed to gently stretch over Gulf's entire body, as if he were falling into a peaceful sleep. He knew it was wrong, but his body was so heavy that he couldn't move.

🌻

"Mister Gulf?" Gulf heard someone calling to him from far away. "Are you asleep?"

Gulf heard a familiar melody. He recognized it as the ring tone on his cellphone, but his body wouldn't even twitch.

"Mister Gulf, your phone's ringing. I don't think it's just a message."

"Nngh." Gulf wanted to move, but he couldn't budge even a single finger. "Pick it up..." he asked.

"I couldn't answer your phone. What should I do?"

The chime started playing again, then Gulf heard a distant voice. Listening to the pleasant rhythm of it, Gulf was lulled once more into sleep.

"...so you should probably call back later."

Gulf couldn't quite understand what the person said and couldn't respond. Silence filled him. He felt his body being lifted, as if on a cloud. It carried Gulf to a soft bed and laid him down respectfully.

"Mister Gulf?"

Gulf's lips didn't move. His eyelids were heavy, holding his eyes closed as if they were glued shut. All he wanted was to let his sluggish body collapse. Nothing more.

There was a moment of silence. Fingers touched Gulf's lips lightly, teasingly, then someone's moist lips pressed against Gulf's own. Unable to breath with his lips blocked by someone else's, Gulf let out a muffled noise. He was given several light kisses, and he felt the sensuality that slept inside him stirring.

Finally, a powerful tongue pushed its way through his slightly twisted lips.

"Mmf!"

The kiss was much more intimate than a simple prank. Gulf felt his brain going numb from it.

It's Mew.

Gulf reached out with weak fingers and found the warmth and solidity of the other person. No one but Mew would kiss him so tenderly. But what was Mew doing there? It had to be a dream.

Eyes closed, Gulf sank into the dream, tangling his tongue with the other person's, sucking on his lips. His tongue met the man's own, exploring the inside of his mouth and tracing over his teeth.

"Nngh---"

The other person's tongue gently trailed across the roof of his mouth and tracing over his teeth.

"Nngh---"

The other person's tongue gently trailed across the roof of his mouth and Gulf felt his body seized with sensation, and he knew he was getting wet. In the blink of an eye, his sex had flushed with warmth.

"Oh, sir---" Gulf whispered between kisses, wrapping his arms around the other's person neck.

"Is this really okay with you?"

"Do it---"

Gulf's heart and body had left his self-control far behind. He didn't mind at all when a clumsy hand slipped into the opening of his yukata, stroking his thigh from groin to knee.

"Mm."

Gulf's voice was luscious. He hung from the man's neck and buried his face in his shoulder, unable to bear the pleasure.

"Ah! Nngh!"

Gulf's desire could no longer be conceled. Seeping out of him was a juice sweeter than honey, welling up from inside his body. Impatient with the hesitant movements of the man's fingers, Gulf begged for more in a cloying voice.

"Do it right. That's good---"

Gulf didn't want to be touched with such restraint, through his clothes. He didn't want to be stirred up anymore, he wanted more; to be driven wild and to cry out from the feverish caresses.

"Mister...Mew," Gulf urged, slurring. He hardly ever called Mew by name---usually he just said 'sir'---but it was just a dream and he could say whatever he wanted.

"Mew?"

TBC