Kevin but... Wait, what?

Cole the Candy Bar guy didn't come in for the next few work days and Kevin had another Con to travel to, if my Father wasn't hovering around and threatening me and my Mother I would have loved to go with him, but I couldn't leave Mum here by herself. She had been staying in a countryside motel close by but came over often and would be staying with me while Kevin was gone, I was surprised by how much closer we had become, the other day she had even laughed at one of Kevin's jokes. I'd seen him off at the airport this morning and I already missed him, he promised to call me as soon as he landed.I looked down at my watch, it wouldn't be long now until he did only about an hour or so, I sat in a small Cork bar nursing a beer and staring down at a sad fish and chip dinner that I didn't feel hungry enough to eat anymore, Mum would be at home by now. I dipped a chip into some gravy and shoved it into my mouth, I'd been staring at it so long that it'd gone cold.

"I'll have to tell Patrick he doesn't make 'em like he used to," Said a familiar voice.

I looked up and sure enough, there was Candy Bar guy. It was the first time I'd seen him without his leather jacket on and he gave me a bit of an awkward smile as he adjusted his apron.

"Bit weird to be serving you for once," He remarked hesitantly and when I didn't respond right away he gestured to my plate, "Do you want me to take that?"

I hadn't been hungry in the first place but seeing Cole here had made me lose my appetite completely "Oh, yes please" I said taking a huge swig of my beer.

"Another beer?" He asked hopefully.

"Oh, no, I should really be leaving" I replied downing the dregs and handing him my glass, he was starting to make me uncomfortable.

"Already? Well, I'm about to clock off I could walk you if yo-"

"Thank you so much for offering" I interrupted, "Really, I appreciate it, but I'm in a bit of a hurry" I stood and gave him the most friendly smile I could muster.

He looked deeply disappointed but he didn't insist and instead let me leave and walk to my car alone. When we'd talked originally he'd said that he didn't work around here but now here he was working at this bar that I'd been to at least a hundred times and never seen him at once. In fact, I'd never seen him anywhere except at the store I worked at. My heart rate began to skyrocket as I shoved my keys in the ignition and turned them to start the car. The car spluttered and died.

I tried again.It spluttered and died again.

There was a tap at my window and I jumped, my eyes meeting Cole's through the pane of glass."Need a hand?" He asked, his voice muffled.

***********************************************************************

"You know" He said as he fiddled around under the bonnet of my car, "I'm not a creep, I'm sorry if I gave you that impression"

I was confused by his persistence, he knew I had a boyfriend and had even seen Kevin but still, he seemed to be determined to insert himself in my life. I looked out over the water by the pub and he tinkered.

"So are you a mechanic?" I asked, wanting to fill the silence.

He chuckled, "Partially, my Father runs a Car shop in Dublin, I used to help out there as a young boy" He paused as he concentrated before continuing, "I'm actually a cook"

I frowned and found myself turning around to look at him, leaning back against the fencing behind me, "You're a cook?"

He looked over at me, "What? You think because I eat lots of candy I can't cook?"

I couldn't help but smile a bit, "I guess you just don't look like the cooking type"

He smiled back, "Is it the leather jacket? Picture me riding a Harley Davidson instead of flipping eggs?"

"Something like that"

"I can ride a motorbike, but when I was young my Mum taught me to cook, she's the best cook I've ever met" He tugged on something else under the bonnet, "Does Kevin cook?" He asked.

It felt like such a weird question to ask, in any other situation I would have felt very much like Cole was interested in me but he asked about Kevin so casually as if him being a topic of conversation wasn't weird at all. Was that a normal thing that guys did when they were hitting on taken chicks? As if saying his name summoned him, my phone began to ring and sure enough, it was Kevin.

"Hey!" I said, relief filling my voice.

"Hey baby" He muttered, his voice husky and sleepy, "Missing me?"

"Don't I always?"

He chuckled softly, "Well it's been a while now, maybe we're at that stage in our relationship where you're happy I'm gone"

I rolled my eyes, "Kevin, when have I ever been happier when you're not around?"

"Never, because I'm so wonderful" There was some shuffling on his end of the line, "Are you at home? What are you wearing?"

I knew Cole couldn't hear the conversation but my cheeks went bright red, "I'm not at home" I said, clearing my throat, "I'm actually still at the bar, well kind of at the bar, my car won't start" I admitted, "But apparently Cole is somewhat of a mechanic and he's trying to fix it"

"Candy Bar guy? So now he gives you candy and fixes your car?" I could hear the joke in Kevin's voice but there was also a little bit of an edge and rightly so, after everything we'd been through we were both wary of strangers like Cole.

I had briefly considered not mentioning Cole at all but I wanted to be honest with Kevin, there was no point lying about it, there was nothing to lie about. Our meeting was innocent and so was the interaction. It was always better to be honest.

"I think I fixed it," Cole said, "I'll test it now"

"If it doesn't work and he offers you a ride home I'm flying back now" Kevin muttered and I laughed.

My car started on the first try, "It's okay you can stay put, it's working"

Cole gave me a smile and a nod as he excused himself and headed back the way he'd come past the bar and down the road to where I presumed he lived. I slid into the driver's seat and shut the door.

"Do you miss me?" I asked Kevin.

"More than anything," He said softly, "Plus this hotel bed is super soft and bouncy and I just don't think I'll be able to enjoy it as much by myself"

"You can't give up before you've even tried"

"You're right, I'll call you back later"

"Kevin!" I laughed down the phone and he chuckled back, "How dare you try and ditch me for that hotel bed"

"What can I say, it's won me over, I may never come home"

"I guess I'll have to roll around naked in your bed all alone then" I sighed.

He groaned on the other line, "I have an interview in 15 minutes and now I'm picturing you naked, thanks"

I bit my lip, "You're welcome"

"I love you Lily" He said softly.

"I love you too, Kevin"

The phone conversation clicked off a few moments later and I reached over to sit my phone on the magnetic holder, scrolling through several playlists as I buckled my seatbelt, it wasn't until I went to drive that I realized Cole was standing there once again looking nervous and conflicted. He motioned for me to wind down the window but I was too hesitant, I shook my head at him but I could hear his muffled voice.

"Could you just hear me out for a second?" He asked.

But I didn't wait around to listen and instead sped past him and put my foot down hoping he didn't have a vehicle to follow me in. My heart was pounding as I neared home and it sunk as I pulled into the driveway and a few moments later another car pulled in behind me. I pulled myself out of the car and launched myself toward the front door but I was too slow and his hand grabbed my wrist and swung me back to face him. I aimed at his head with my bag but he dodged it easily.

"Please, Leliana, let me explain" Cole pleaded.

"Cole, leave me alone, please. My Mum is in here, please don't hurt us" his grip on my wrist hurt.

Realisation seemed to dawn on him because he let go of my wrist and took a giant step back holding his hands up to show he wasn't going to hurt me, what the hell was up with this guy? I backed toward the door and he looked like he might follow but he thought better of it.

"I'm going to call the Police and get a restraining order on you, I do-"

"Please, please don't do that Leliana" He begged.

"Why shouldn't I? You come into my work, you stalk me all the way home and then you grab me and demand I listen to you, why shouldn't I call the cops?"

He looked up at me then, his hazel eyes filled with sadness.

"Because I'm your brother"