Part 5

"I'm going to pick Bradley."

Charlie looked over at her uncle as she leaned against the railing of the aircraft carrier. His aviators blocked most of the sun, but he wasn't looking at the horizon.

He was looking at her.

"I need you to know, I'm going to pick him for this mission."

"Why do you need me to know?"

"Because I love you. And I love him. And I'm not going into that meeting without you fully aware of the price I am asking you to pay if things go south."

Charlie exhaled sharply through her nose. "Then don't let things go south." She looked back at him. Hard. "I'm not burying anyone else this year, Mav."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"It's been an honor flying with you." Pete stood in front of the twelve aviators with the most serious look Charlie had ever seen on his face.

"Each one of you represents the best of the best." He swallowed thickly. "This is a very specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that, and nothing more."

Admiral Simpson stepped closer and nodded to him. "Choose your two Foxtrot teams."

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

"And your wingman?"

Maverick's eyes scanned over the room and landed on Charlie, but he didn't open his mouth yet. Waiting for her approval.

Charlie nodded, just barely. But that was enough for him.

"Rooster."

Admiral Bates stepped forward. "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that is required." He nodded at each of the pilots. "Dismissed."

Everyone dressed in their flight suits and began walking to their jets, but Bradley hung back, just for a moment more with her.

She looked into his eyes, a stern look on her face. "Mav already proved this can be done. So come back to me, Bradshaw."

He let his helmet fall as he reached out and cupped her face, pulling her lips to his. He knew it was bad luck to kiss her goodbye, but if he didn't come back, he wanted his last memory of Lottie to be her soft lips on his.

"Even if I have to swim."

She laughed softly and smiled. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

He kissed her again, much softer this time, and pulled away slowly. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you, too."

"I'm coming back for you."

She nudged him in the ribs with her elbow. "You fucking better."

He smiled at her and walked to his plane. Pete replaced him quickly, a hand on Charlie's shoulder. "I'll get him back to you."

She pulled him into a hug. "Bring yourself back, too."

"I love you, kid."

"Love you too."

She climbed into her jet and watched as the Dagger team took off for the uranium plant, an extra set of dog tags wrapped in her fist like a vice. As she lowered her gaze from the sky, none other than Jake Seresin was looking at her, his helmet on and comms engaged.

"We're number one and two on reserve."

"I hope to god we're not needed."

The bombs made impact, none of the pilots got stuck in g-lock, but Coffin Corner brought on endless waves of SAMs for them to deflect.