✧. cause for concern

Start from the beginning

Your body tingles in mass second-hand embarrassment, or cringe, really. You loathe the falsities your father has enabled.

"Chichi and haha are gonna kiss!" Anya blurts.

Your little sister's outrageous claim causes you to chortle, taking your mind off the 'romantic' bed you're standing in front of.

"Are not!" Loid protests.

"Nope!" Yor rejects.

Loid and Yor's reaction to the blatant tease was like watching two smitten teenagers try to pathetically hide their feelings for one another. But, of course, you knew exactly how your parents felt about one another.
Your abilities as an empath allow you to read feelings to its absolute core.

Their fondness grew placidly. Paced. It's a patient remedy; a pure kind of love. They remind you of twin flames, who are infuriatingly reluctant of each other's organic magnetism.

You sigh, silently awaiting their official union.
One day, you think.

𓆩♡𓆪

Dong.

Dong.

The simplistic cedar wall clock strikes nine o'clock in the afternoon.

"Will haha's brother be here soon?" Anya asks, reading the 'Spy Wars' graphic novel with papa.

"Call him uncle Yuri," your father ignores Anya's question, simply because he didn't have a definitive answer.

"Unkie..." your little sister mummers to herself, her mind drifting elsewhere.

You sit adjacent to the two, reading yet another one of papa's true crime books. You had swiftly gone through a handful of his old books (not all true crime) already - something your father didn't easily overlook.

Loid darts his eyes to you. He admits that he's impressed with your deep liking for reading - a habit he couldn't even get Anya into, no matter the countless methods he's tried, she only reads the books with drawings related to 'Spy Wars'. But Loid has also been meaning to talk to you about your... unique genre of interest.
"Little one..." he begins, attracting your attention.

You turn your head towards him, "yes, papa?"

"I've noticed that mature, crime books really interest you..." he treads gently, "I think it's wonderful that you take such an affinity to reading but, as your father, I do get a little concerned with your choice..." He slightly wonders if this has anything to do with traumas you experienced as a child - his role as a psychiatrist taking over. "Is there something you want to open up about?"

You gape at him for a second, before replying with a nonchalant, "nope!"
You go back to reading happily.

Loid stares at you blankly before sighing, I will never understand children. (But at least he tried.)
Next he notices his second daughter woozily dozing off, "it's past your bedtime, Anya. I think you should go to bed now."

Anya waves back and forth like the ocean coming to meet land but retreating back not long after.
"I wanna greet unkie..." she murmurs, clearly exhausted.