Pt. 6

The world around you is spinning and shards are falling on you like sharp rain drops.

Impeling your eyes to do their job, you can't see anything but dots and stars. You blink couple times to disperse them and get clear line of vision.

The second you come to full focus and get to see details of your surroundings, you find yourself lying on the hangar's cold flooring. The glass wall of your lab above is crumbled on and around you. If you didn't land on your stomach, you'd have it sprinkled in your face.

With a grunt, you push yourself to sit and register few shards've found their way through the fabric of your clothes. Removing them doesn't cause any massive bleeding, just your hiss in discomfort.

Your hearing is fully restored too as you hear clinking and quiet groaning. Red wavy mane lets you know it's Natasha trying to crawl out of a heap of riven pipes.

Your body surprisingly obeys your order to stand up but as soon as you're in a vertical position, a wave of nausea washes over you and you tumble on all four. Giving up another try to walk, you toddle closer to your friend.

"Hang on," you start lifting the metal tubes.

"Is that blood?" She stretches her neck to glance at you and notices your minor injury. "Are you hurt?"

"Nothing serious, don't worry." The last piece squeezing and trapping her calf is much heavier than the others. Your effort to heave it meets no success.

Only when you look around for something that could help to free her, you see Bruce on the floor, face down as well. He's not trapped, yet you hear his strained panting. There's no way his heartbeat stayed steady after the blast.

His groaning grows louder, his fists are clenching, back arching. He's obviously struggling to keep his human form.

"Bruce, you gotta fight it," your voice is serene and collected even though you're sure you're screwed.

"This is just what Loki wants," Natasha joins you.

You pry on the pipe again, relieved to see it finally moving.

Bruce's voice is modified by Hulk taking over him. His skin's turning green as he's changing into a monster right in front of you.

There's no other option than to run away. His ferocious snarl induces you to gather all your strenght and lift the pipe another inch, giving Natasha space to kick back, set herself free and hop on her feet.

Ignoring the lasting nausea, you catch her hand firmly and yank her body to get her to run for your lives. After few steps of your rush, she stops to turn back and watches the rest of Hulk's transformation in disbelief.

She feels pats on her face as you're trying to pull back the curtain draped over her survival instinct. Her brain isn't able to comprehend anything but one syllable from your lips. "Run!"

Then the green hell breaks loose.

Hulk's inhuman roaring and thudding footsteps shakes whole hangar, making you frequently lose footing. Interwining among the rest of unbroken pipes, you stretch out your arm to help Natasha climb up to you.

You clasp your hand over her mouth when you see her inhale to start talking. Finger up, you shush her.

A glimmer of hope to escape safely dawns on you when Hulk's heavy, angry footsteps begin to wane. Not yet sure where to head, you wordlessly count down on your fingers and gesture to go to descent the steel staircase.

Couple steps short from exit, Hulk emerges from a dark corner with a deafening, murderous yell. Natasha draws her gun and sends a bullet in pipe above him. A flood of leaking hot steam blocks his vision for a moment but increases his rampage.

You take her hand again and wrench her forward, sprinting away as fast as you can. Everything in Hulk's way is destroyed as his hugeness doesn't fit the size of the place. Sparkles from demolished fluorescent lights shower all over you.

Speeding up even more, you trip over your own foot and hit the floor. With a quick roll sideways you avoid being trampled to death by the green giant.

Nat slows down when she notices you're no longer by her side. Hulk catches up to her and with one swing of his monstrous hand hurls her against the hangar wall.

"NATASHA!" You erupt in a scream, watching her helpless body slumping down.

Hulk gets ready to plant another blow on her when Mjolnir followed by Thor sweeps him away from you.

Exhausted, you kneel next to her, turn her flat on her back and with two fingers try to find pulse on her wrist. Nothing.

Realizing her chest is inert, you tilt her head gently back and provide rescue breaths and chest compressions until you see the upper front of her body rise and fall repeatedly on its own. Checking the vein again, you feel weak but regular heartbeat.

You scan her, looking for fractures. When you get to the head, you notice her earpiece is flashing, signaling radio connection. Confused as to why you can't hear anything, you check yours,and find out it was lost during the failed getaway.

Letting her rest, you pick her piece and apply it onto you.

"It's Barton, he took out our systems! He's headed for the detention level! Does anybody copy?" Fury's message doesn't shake you in any way. After Loki's capture Clint's appearance was only a matter of time.

"This is doctor Barton, I copy," you press the comm to answer, watching Natasha's eyes flutter open.

"Y/N?" His voice grows authoritative. "Unacceptable, stay put!"

"Sorry, Nick, desperate time calls for desperate solution." You remove the handset and give it back to Natasha.

"What was that?" She whispers, body quivering with shock.

You position her to sit straight. "Do you mean the green rodeo or Nick telling me my deranged brother blew up my lab once more and somebody has to stop him?"

"It's dangerous," she pulls her knees to her chest, panic-stricken face enriched with worry.

"Exactly. That's why you're staying here," you cup her face, "and don't you dare to try to talk me out of it."

She leans into your touch, finding a generous dose of comfort in it. "You really are great agent."

"Trainee," you correct her, feeling new energy brimming you. "Any idea what to do? I can't kill him."

Stunned by your professional approach in life-threatening situation, she sniffles. "Cognitive recalibration."