prologue

i was scared, i think we were all scared. my friends have never seen anything like this before. i don't think i've ever seen anything like this before.

———————————————————————————

we've grown up in a small town called "Beeveltown." it's such a stupid name for a town. no one can pronounce it correctly and it starts a whole riot. the only good thing about this town, is that number one, it's in the south, and number two, my friends.

susie. my best friend since the 3rd grade. she has ginger hair, brown eyes, pale, lots of freckles, and was always the shortest. she was the last kid in our class to lose all her baby teeth. i remember her crying when it finally came out. i went over to help her, thats when we became friends.

jackson. that son of a bitch. tall, blonde, tan skin, hazel eyes. i met him in 7th grade. he's the real class clown. we only became friends because some kid gave him a wedgy in the bathroom. weirdly enough i was the only one in there. he was the popular boy who has the girls all over him. i think it's because he's italian.

erin. what a beauty. she has beautiful green eyes, dark skin, and her hair.. the most beautiful thing in the world. we met the first day of 8th grade. you know the classic "i bumped into her, books fell, we became acquaintances" trope.

and lastly me. rusty. white, blue eyes, dark brunette hair, and was always average height. i've finally made it to high school. surprisingly. my parents were the most surprised by the news.

"well congratulations mr. and ms. lee. rusty made it to high school." my mama nearly fainted and my pa was so proud. i was shocked. i had almost all Fs. never once did my homework. i only got into high school because i know my abcs.

but that was my friend group. we always hung out on weekends and after school. we talk on our walkie talkies all the time and make tapes of our favorite songs to play when we hang. susie has a cassette tape, a life saver. imagine hanging out in complete silence. the one thing we all have in common is that we like to have a bit of adventure. we would climb the highest cliffs and jump off into the water. or search abandoned locations. or even just going on a midnight walk. our parents don't really care. it's the 80's. what do you expect? nothing ever bad happens in this town.