dinner

The next day, 4:45 pm

"Can you pass me the spaghetti please?" Jen asks me before I pass her the packet of pasta. We're in the kitchen getting dinner ready for tonight.

"Do you need me to help with anything else?" I ask her watching her take a handful of pasta out of the packet and then putting it in the boiling water.

"Not right now! I'm gonna wait for the pasta to cook then I might need some help after that." She says putting the lid on the pot, leaving some room for air then turning and walking to the island bench, Where I was sitting.

"How are you feeling? Are you nervous?" She asks placing her forearms flat on the bench as she realises I've been staring into space.

"A little, Yeah. Do I call him dad? What's he like? I only saw him for like a minute the other day."

"You call him whatever you're comfortable with. We're not expecting you to call us mum and dad right away, We understand it's a big change. He's very sweet! He may come off as this big celebrity but trust me he is one of the most down-to-earth, normal people you'll meet. He's really great. He cares about you very much already."

"Okay! Okay, thank you. I feel more at ease now." I pause before asking "So what's happening with you guys?" I say smiling. My question making her smile as well.

"Uh, I'm not sure. We haven't really talked about this co-parenting thing or in fact anything regarding us except that we're both going to put as much into working on this whole situation as possible. Why do you want something to happen?" She asks playfully frowning her eyebrows.

"I mean yeah. I told you last night how I feel about the both of you together. But then again who am I to meddle in your relationship."

"Uh, Our daughter!" We both laugh at what she says.

"This is true, but I don't want to be the reason something does or doesn't happen. I don't want to force anything."

"I get it, But, And I'm not saying it will for sure, But if something were to happen I don't want you to feel as if you are forcing us together. I guess only time will tell." She says walking back to the pasta on the stove, Checking it before walking back over to me.

"Do you want something to happen?" I ask curiously. Do I feel weird about discussing my parent's relationship with my mother? My mother, who is in fact, Jennifer Aniston? Discussing her relationship with Brad Pitt? Yes, Of course I do but I'm only human. And humans are a curious bunch.

"I mean look." She takes a deep breath, Stringing her words together before she continues. "I think I'm in a place where if something were to happen then I would be okay with it, especially now with you involved. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I love him and I always will love him and after the divorce, I thought the love I have for him turned into the kind of love that you have towards a very close friend. But I think being in this situation now, with him becoming more involved in my life again has made me realise that I never stopped loving him the way I did before the divorce. Loving him as my husband."

I nod taking everything that she just said in while trying to process the fact that I might be the reason Brad and Jen, The Brad and Jen get back together again.

"Do you know where he stands? If he feels the same way?"

"I don't. I also don't want to be the one to bring it up, especially now that we have you to focus on. It's too soon, you know?"

"Yeah I get it, Has he given you any indication?"

"Look at you with all the questions!" She says playfully, laughing and shaking her head. Making me laugh as well.

"I'm just curious"

We talk some more about the relationship that hopefully will spark again between the two before 6 o'clock rolls around, Meaning time for me to get to know my father a little more. I'm upstairs getting changed for dinner... well, I was getting changed ten minutes ago so really I'm upstairs preparing myself a little.

I take a few deep breaths, trying my best to calm my nerves before heading downstairs having heard him arrive a few minutes ago. Once I get down into the kitchen, The first image I am met with is my father leaning against the kitchen island. His arm wrapped around my mother, pulling her in towards him, Her hands resting on his chest. Both smiling looking nowhere else expected at each other.

"Oh, there she is!" Jen says noticing me before taking her hand and interlocking it with Brad's one that is on her back, walking over to me and pulling him with her. Seeming unfazed with what I just walked in on.

"Hey Leilani" He says letting go of her hand, walking over to me, opening his arms to let me fill the gap. I thought this moment, hugging him for the first time would be awkward and uncomfortable, But after hearing everything Jen told me about him I already feel welcomed.

Jen's pov - living room 8:30 pm

The fire is going, The tv on the music channel playing soft tunes in the background whilst we sit around sharing stories we have yet to share with one another. Dinner went well. Brad and Leilani had time to bond, getting closer and closer as time went on. This family bond getting stronger by the minute. Finally getting to live out my 30-year-old self's dream... Well, I guess in her dream she was still happily married to Brad. So maybe her dream isn't coming true? Although, The small kiss we shared in the kitchen earlier is telling me otherwise.