I'd stare a lifetime into your eyes

Honestly Eddie forgot all about the show tonight. Who holds a Battle of the Bands in the middle of February, let alone Indiana? The planners of the show were lucky it was at least 40 degrees fahrenheit. The only thing he now had to do was cancel his weekly study session with Nancy Wheeler. He was rather intimidated by her actually. She had kept a tight schedule, using her own time to help tutor him. He groaned in defeat as he already saw her sitting at their table. 

Her face immediately lit up upon seeing him. God she was stunning. He walked to her and flipped the chair backwards and facing her. 

“So I have bad news.” He said quickly. What was it about her that intimidated him? A strong breeze could probably topple her over. “And what would that be? Hm.” Nancy asked, folding her hands in front of her on the table. “I’m afraid I actually double booked myself tonight. I forgot the band and I had a concert that was set months ago. Sorry Nancy.” He stood back up, not bothering to fix the chair. “Well we can do both.” She replied. Nancy could feel her heartbeat in her ears. Why did she do this for boys? Why was she so intent on changing herself to impress a boy? 

“You do your show and we find a place to study after. Or we do before you play. Either way I’m going to have to come with you.” “Nancy, it’s not that easy. It’s in Indy. Plus it’s a school night.” She probably needed her beauty sleep. But Nancy had gone many sleepless nights since the week that followed November 6, 1983. 

“So. After Halloween my junior year I came to school following the worst hangover of my life. I’ll survive.” Eddie studied her for a moment. She had this determination to her that he felt she would be ok. He let out a breath. “Will it be ok with your parents?” he asked. “Hell no.” Nancy replied. “I’ll just say I’m staying at a friend’s house or something. I’ll figure it out.” “Ok.” he said as he yanked a piece of paper out of a notebook. He scrawled out his address and handed it to her. “Meet me there at 6 pm sharp.” He began to walk away before turning back. “Otherwise we’ll leave without you.” Nancy seriously doubted that. She walked out to her car to see Mike leaning up against it. 

“What took you so long?” Mike asked. “I had to reschedule a study session with Eddie.” Nancy said as she unlocked the car as they both got in. “Weird way to pronounce date.” Mike sassed. “Whatever.” Nancy said. “We rescheduled for tonight.” “But tonight is-” “The Battle of the Bands, I know.” Mike eyed her as his sister started the car. “Mike, we’ve survived worse.” “But even I wouldn’t take El to a metal concert.” “It was my idea, not his.” Nancy said, driving back to their house. “So it is a date.” Mike insisted. “You really need to stop listening to Dustin. He just listens to Steve and Robin all the time.” Nancy grew annoyed. “And what’s wrong about that?” he asked as they pulled into their subdivision. “You know damn well why. I have zero intention of dating anytime soon.” They pulled into their driveway. “Don’t tell Mom and Dad. They would freak.” “Agreed.” Mike said as they both walked into the house. Karen was putting away groceries as Ted was watching some sport on tv. Nancy dug her hands into her cardigan pockets to assure Eddie’s note was still there. 

“Mom, Abigail invited me to her house tonight to help out with a paper. I probably won’t be home until late tonight. Is that ok?” Nancy chewed on the inside of her cheek. “Of course honey. Are you eating there?” “Yep.” Nancy lied. Who knew what would be available there. “I’ll be ok, don’t worry about me.” Nancy ran back upstairs, leaving Mike to help with the groceries. She quickly scanned her closet, realizing most of her pastels and skirts wouldn't fit with the night. She threw on a pair of black jeans and a gray knit sweater. She went to the bathroom to fix her hair before grabbing her textbooks. She was out the door and doing her best to follow the directions Eddie left for her. They took her to a trailer park. She knew Max already lived across the street. She pulled into the freshman’s driveway and knocked on the door, hoping Max was the one that answered.