When you're near me darling can't you hear me SOS

If you told Nancy Wheeler after the battle of Starcourt that she would be head over heels for the local freak almost a year from that point, she wouldn't have believed you. But yet here she was. Standing on the doorstep outside of Eddie Munson's trailer. She sucked in a breath, smoothed out her skirt and adjusted her sweatshirt. Why was she so nervous? She had dated before. First it was Steve Harrington. And then Jonathan Byers. Eddie and Jonathan were similar but Eddie had this odd maturity to him despite enjoying the same things her 14-year-old brother did. Which was, ironically, how they two had formally met.

...

It was in January, the week after winter break. The Indiana cold seemed to numb every part of her. Jonathan and her had decided before winter break to end their relationship. He was being distant and as much she didn't want to admit it, so was she. She still loved him but she couldn't help that maybe this was karma finally biting her. She had unceremoniously dumped Steve her sophomore year and swiftly began dating Jonathan not even 2 months later. Steve didn't deserve the way she treated him and neither did Jonathan. Maybe that was why she was surprised to see a figure much taller than her 14-year old brother running out of the building.

"Hey Big Wheeler." Eddie said as she rolled down her window. "Sorry to tell you this but Mike left about 20 minutes ago with Dustin and Lucas. Mrs. Sinclair was worried about you and Mrs. Henderson picking them up in the snow." Nancy sighed. Slamming the back of her head into the headrest behind her. Eddie picked up on her frustration. "I'm guessing no one told you?"

"No." she spoke, although it came out as more of an exhausted whine. "The sophomores did the layout all wrong. I had to stay late and redo the entire front section of the paper. I haven't even been home yet. On top of that-" She glanced back over to his face. It almost looked like concern. "You don't care. Sorry." she muttered. "Don't be," he said. He lingered for a moment. "Sorry to make you wait. Drive safe." "You too." she said. She drove home as she watched Eddie walk to his car.

As soon as she pulled in she immediately walked up to Mike's room. "Seriously Mike. I have to wait for 20 minutes for nothing. The newspaper room and auditorium aren't even that far. You could've told me." The door opened. "I'm sorry but Lucas's mom insisted. I figured you wouldn't have a problem with it." They then heard their mom yelling at them for dinner. "Just drop it ok? But when Eddie goes out of his way to kill you in his next campaign you know why." Nancy said as she ran back down the stairs.

...

That was 2 months ago. She and Eddie had taken more notice of one another in the halls more. She even tutored him in one of the classes they shared. But the more time she spent with him, the more she cared for him. And that was when she realized the inevitable, she had a crush on him. Fortunately and unknowingly, he had one on her too. This time, it was Nancy's turn to be oblivious. She thought it was a phase, all girls get a crush on a bad boy. But Eddie wasn't that at all.

That was why her nerves were on overdrive standing on his steps. Her parents finally wanted to formally meet the boy she had been tutoring and Mike's dungeon master. Eddie insisted on her taking him there. He claimed to have no sense of direction and may have gotten lost in her suburbia.

"Hi." he greeted as he answered the door. "Hi." she responded. "Ready to go?" He nodded and held the door for her as she got in and he ran to the passenger side.

They drove in silence for a few minutes before Eddie finally spoke. "Does your family get the wrong idea?" "Wrong idea?" she laughed. Then the words settled in her skin. "Oh. Um, no. At least I hope not. If not, Mike is there. He can just say you're the one in charge of his club. No big deal." She plastered on a fake smile and they drove the rest of the way as she chatted about the paper and hopes for Emerson College in a few months. Eddie just listened as she pulled into her driveway and led him inside her house.