6 - Escape to James'

Start from the beginning

"What do you think?" He snaps angrily before calming down a bit. "Sorry. I'm mad at mum, I shouldn't take it out on you."

"It's okay." I say and he sits up.
"Why'd she do it?" I ask.

"I brought up the possibility of us going to stay with James for a while," He answers. "She got mad for some reason. She didn't technically give me an answer, but I'm guessing it's a no."

I sigh quietly to myself. "You'd think she'd be glad to get rid of us."

Sirius nods in agreement and nothing more is said between us, we just sit silently together.

~*𓃦*~

The holidays only get worse.

I was driving myself crazy counting down the days until we'd return to Hogwarts.

One day, as I was sitting on the couch in the living room reading a book I hear a loud crash. I look up to see Regulus standing beside a now broken vase.

I quickly close my book, rushing over to him. He was clearly freaking out, knowing mum was going to go crazy.

"Reg, go upstairs." I say quickly.

"What?" He asks.

"Just go." I say, hearing mum's footsteps.

"Y/n-"

"Reg, go." I say sternly and he reluctantly does as he's told.

Mum comes in the room and I tense up, preparing for what's going to happen.

"What happened?" She says angrily.

"I-I broke the vase. It was an accident." I answer, avoiding looking at her.

I don't really remember what happened next, just a lot of pain.

After mum leaves to go the kitchen or something I head upstairs. Regulus was sitting on the stairs but stands up when he sees me.

"You shouldn't've done that," He says. "You shouldn't've took the blame."

"Well I did," I mumble, walking past him, heading towards my room. He follows after me. "I couldn't let her hurt you."

"You don't need to protect me." He insists.

I don't respond to him, instead I just walk into me and Sirius' room, flopping down on my bed.

"What happened?" Sirius asks. He was sitting at his desk, writing something, probably a letter to James.

"I broke a vase," Regulus answers. "Y/n took the blame for it, mum obviously got pissed off."

"Y/n, are you okay?" Sirius asks me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I mumble.

Sirius comes and sits down beside me.

We all talk for a little while but mum calls us down for dinner.

We eat in silence, the only sound heard is the clinking of cutlery against plates. I feel Sirius kick me from under the table, I look up at him confusedly but he acts innocent, as if nothing happened.

Oh, this is war.

I kick him back. He kicks me again. This goes on for a while, until we hear a small "ow" from under the table. It seems Sirius kicked Kreacher. Sirius' eyes widen when he realises what he did, knowing we're going to get in trouble.

I can feel mum glaring at us from across the table, though Sirius and I refuse to look at her.

Mum tells Regulus to leave the table and I know we're doomed.