We are the ones who live

I had managed to slip by most of the saviors, all of them looking at what Spencer brought in. making my way to my house, Rosita following right behind me. They were here, I didn't think it was best to do things here, to many chances of more of our people getting killed but it was all about the right moment. As I stepped up onto my porch I noticed a lot of lights on at Ricks house. Rick wasn't back yet and that's why Negan was waiting here, he'd been here for while apparently.

A rush of anxiety ran over, thinking about him in Ricks house with Judith there. I rushed into my house pulling the door shut behind Rosita and pulling out my gun, handing it over to her.

"Take it." I say to her. "We don't do this here. If we do, more people could die than just us."

I go for the door but she stops me.

"What are you doing?" She questions.

"I'm gonna talk to him." I say pulling the door open, Rosita stopping me again.

"If you go in there and get to talk to him alone that is the best opportunity." She says making me sigh, her hand falling from my arm.

"The best opportunity is one where Carl and Judith aren't involved." I say back. I kept moving out of the house walking over one to Ricks, I didn't even have time to process what I was doing before I pulled the front door open and walked in.

My feet froze to the wooden floor as my eyes fell on Negan at the head of the dinning table, Carl sat beside him and at the end of the table was Olivia, Judith asleep in her arms.

Once I was set back on Negan, I spoke up.

"Olivia, give Judith to Carl, you can go." I say. Knowing that she must be scared out of her mind right now.

"But I'm supposed to stay with her until Rick get-"

"Now Olivia." I say cutting her off. She got up hesitantly, her eyes looking to Negan for approval but his eyes were trained on me.

I walked further in the room, nodding to Carl telling him it was okay to take Judith. Once Judith was in Carl's arms I walked further into the room, letting Olivia move past me and out the door.

"Take her to bed." I say, my hand falling on judiths soft head of hair.

"Avery-"

"It's okay. Right?" I looked to Negan, asking him if it was okay, keeping my voice as soft as I could. Negans head fell to the side, a full smile on his face as he leaned back in his chair.

He let out a huff of a laugh, his tong running along his teeth as he nodded very slightly. I gave Carl a nod, sending him off up the stairs.

I my hand fell on the chair he was just sitting it, the one closest to to him. I leaned down, resting my elbows on the top as I looked over at him. His face was freshly shaved, his skin clear. He was an attractive person, one of the worst personalities.

"I liked the beard better." I say. I was gonna try to be sensual, thinking he'd appeal to that but when those words came out they came out flat. Numb.

"Sit." He says finally. I thought it over for a second, making my way to the opposite side of the table, the head across from him. I sat down, my eyes connecting with his again. That was the most important part in asserting dominance.

I looked down at the table seeing a big plate of spaghetti in the center before I looked back up.

"Why are you here early?" I ask. He leaned forward, swinging the bat up in the air before setting it on the table in between us.

"I figured when you walked through that door that they're would be a bullet in the side of my head already." He says sighing. "I have your brother, locked away in a cell only let out to chain the dead to my fences and you're asking why I'm here? If I were you I'd be setting fire to this house right about now."