𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥//𝗧𝗮𝘆𝗹𝗼𝗿.𝗦

Start from the beginning

It was slightly chilly out today as it was mid-November and I hadn't yet put the heating on since there had been a heatwave over the past couple of weeks. I had moved back to Nashville and bought a proper house when I started the process to adopt Maisie. I wanted her to grow up in a quieter city than New York or LA, although we had spent weekends in both those cities as well as 3 weeks in Rhode Island over the summer.

Being in Nashville means that I am near my parents, and we don't get bothered so much by photographers and fans.

"Mommmmy!" I heard Maisie call out, obviously having already made it downstairs in her excitement. "Fooooooooooddddd timmmeeee!"

  "Coming Miss Maisie!" I called back, laughing slightly at her persistence. 
Almost 3 hours later we were both dressed in jeans and sweatshirts, ready to head off for a mommy and Maisie day today before going to my parents for dinner.

  "Are we really going to the zoo?!" Maisie asked for the hundredth time this week as we drove out of the driveway.  "Yes, we are. And then, since it's your birthday, I thought we could get lunch and Bonuts at Biscuit Love and go for a walk.... maybe visit uncle Scott at the studios or something." I said, half focused on where we were going and half on Maisie.

  "Oh! Please can we go to the studio?" She asked, looking out the window and bopping her head to the music on the radio.  There are two things that Maisie loves: animals and music. We always had music playing around the house or in the car, and any opportunity to see animals was a top priority.

"Sure, we can surprise them." I said, shaking my head slightly as she smiled widely.  The zoo wasn't too busy, which was probably because it was a weekday during the school semester and it had gone cold so outdoor activities weren't really on the top of anyone's list.

It was nice to be able to wander around with Maisie without anyone bothering us. I had never thought that would be a possibility. Well, sometimes it wasn't, it involved careful planning and I still had at least one security guard with us in very public spaces, but today it was just the two of us.

"I LOVED the zoo momma! Thank you! Best birthday EVER!" Maisie said, wrapping her arms around my legs as we walked towards the car, having spent almost 3 hours at the zoo. 

"You are very welcome hun.... Now, are you hungry yet?" I asked, lifting her up in my arms as we got to the car park. Luckily, she was quite light and easy to pick up still.

  " I'm starving! Is it donut time?" She said, her eyes wide and shining.  "First, we need to have actual lunch food, but then, yes, it's bonut time." I told her as she got strapped into the car seat.  It only took 30 minutes to get to the café and order our food, and another 30 minutes to eat it all up. We were both obviously very hungry and excited about dessert. 

"Can we take dessert to go? Four orders of donuts." I asked the waitress who smiled and said that it would be right up.  "So, we are going to take the donuts to Big Machine...that okay?" I asked Maisie, who was intent on getting every last dreg of her lemonade out through the straw.

"Uh huh." She said around the straw, not even looking up as the large box full of sugary greasy goodness was placed in front of us.  "Are you ready miss Maisie?" I asked her as she gave the straw one last suck.  "NOW I am." She said proudly, tipping her cup over to show that there were no drips.

  "Very impressed! Let's get going!" I said, making her smile proudly and take my hand.  The walk to Big Machine wasn't too long and I knew that getting Maisie a little tired before filling her up on sugar was a good idea. It was a little trick I had learnt over the last few months.