Electric Lie

Summary: Eddie is more than willing to teach you to play guitar, even if you don't really need the lessons
WC: 1.3k
Warnings: harmless lying, fluff
note: I wrote this forever ago oops. enjoy ☺️ as always, feedback is always welcome 💕
Originally posted at https://thisismynerdyself.tumblr.com/post/692331953266032640/electric-lie

*****

"This... this right here is my baby."
Eddie Munson, king of the metal heads and weirdos, swung his arm wide in a grand gesture toward his most prized possession: his guitar. He had saved his money for much longer than a normal kid could stand, just so he could afford his very own guitar.
You stood in the doorway of his bedroom, the first time you had been to his home, and the first time being introduced to the love of his life. "It looks... great."
Eddie jerked back, his hand slammed to his chest in mock offense. "Great? Great?? First of all, she's a she. And second of all, she is beautiful. She is perfect."
You couldn't help but laugh at his dramatics. "So sorry, she looks great."
Eddie came back to the doorway and took your hand, dragging you further into the room. His fingers played with yours and a smile grew on your face just from being with the one person who made you feel so special. You had only been dating for a few weeks, moving much slower than you typically would. But Eddie was unlike anyone else, you didn't want to mess things up.
Eddie sat on the edge of his bed and pulled you down next to him. He looked you in the eyes as if he had some world-changing question to ask you. You leaned in, anticipating what he could have to say. "Would you like to hold her?"
You swatted his shoulder and laughed. But he was serious. So you recovered quickly and wiped the smirk off of your face. "Yes, I'd love to. If she means so much to you, I think this is an important moment."
Eddie ignored the hint of sarcasm in your voice and reached up toward his baby. He gripped the neck and lifted it from its mount on the wall. He held it in his hands like it was a delicate infant or a newborn puppy, afraid that too much movement would scare it or break it. Then he transferred the guitar to your lap. You held the neck with your left hand and supported the body with your right hand.
You held your left hand close to the body, fingers wrapped tightly around the strings. "Is this right?" You turned to look at him, eyes searching.
Eddie chuckled and shook his head. Then he scooted back on the bed enough to bend his leg and swung it behind you, allowing him to move in closer. Then he took your left hand in his and moved it up the neck and positioned your fingers on the strings. "Put this finger here, and this one... here. Now strum."
You followed his directions and a sound came out - one that wasn't totally horrible. You smiled and played it again. "That's an A chord, it's pretty simple, good for beginners." He explained. Your eyes were alight with admiration.
"Tell me more, Eddie." You gushed, knowing he would pick up on your playful remarks.
"For you, my dear. Anything." And Eddie set to work showing you a few more chords and tricks. He positioned your fingers on the strings in the correct fret, then helped readjust the guitar to be more comfortable for you. He was beaming with pride the whole time, genuinely loving the time he could spend sharing his passion with you. You had always been interested in his music, the two of you sharing many musical interests. But to bring you home and share his precious guitar with you, well that was a very important step.
That day, you spent hours alone on Eddie's bed learning guitar basics. And for the rest of the week, you dedicated your time after school to visiting Eddie's room to learn and practice with him. You loved the feeling of his arms around yours, his fingers guiding yours to the correct placements. His warm breath on your neck when he leaned in close. The mile-wide smile that adorned his face every few minutes. He loved it just as much, maybe more than you did.
Eddie looked forward to each day you would come and watch him play, or let him show you new pointers. You watched with rapt attention and sometimes it was as if you weren't even paying attention, just listening to him speak. But then you would follow his instructions perfectly. You were a natural.
"Okay, the beer is going right through me, I'll be back." It was just like any day, you sitting on the bed, Eddie sitting in front of you, watching you. Eddie kissed your temple and left to go to the bathroom. So you kept playing around with the guitar while he was gone. Knowing he was out of earshot and with how much he had to drink already, you had a couple of minutes to yourself. So you began plucking away at one of your favorite tunes. It was a soft rock song you had learned to love over the years. You were lost in the music for a moment and didn't realize that Eddie had returned.
His mouth hung open at the sight of you playing flawlessly a song he had never shown you. He stood motionless, soundless, in the doorway. You had turned the volume down on the amp so it wouldn't be loud, but even what Eddie could hear was the definition of music to his ears.
When you had finished, Eddie took another step into the room, capturing your attention. "How long have you been standing there?"
His eyes were still wide and he could hardly think. "How long have you known how to play like that?"
Caught. You were caught and there was no way out. Or was there? "I've just had such a good teacher that I picked it up so quickly-" you rushed to explain.
Eddie crossed the room until he sat beside you. "I didn't teach you that song, and some of those chords, those notes, they're beyond what I could teach. You-" he didn't want to say it. He didn't want to accuse you of lying, but this was such a shock.
"Eddie, listen." Better to be truthful now, better late than never. "The truth is, I learned how to play guitar years ago. Acoustic, not electric. So the sound is pretty different. But-" you paused and took a deep breath, "you were so excited to bring me into this piece of your life. You were so eager to show me everything and I just couldn't deny you of that. You were happy to teach and I was happy to learn."
Eddie thought deeply at what you had said. He should be upset that you lied and hid this gift from him. But how could he be when it was all to make him happy?
"Plus," you continued, "I just wanted you to have to hold me in your arms and show me each and every painstaking chord. With your fingers on mine..." you brushed your fingers over his that rested on the bed beside you. "And your arms around mine..." you reached up and caressed his arms, sending shivers over his skin. "And this guitar is what finally got me into your room, onto your bed. I couldn't pass all of that up." You batted your eyes and silently appealed to him.
Eddie reached up and cupped your cheek in his, leaned in, and pressed a quick kiss to the tip of your nose. "You know I would have done all of that without a guitar, all you had to do was ask." He stared into your eyes. You stared back.
"Yeah but this way, I got to see my competition. She's been your baby for so long, I had to show her who she's up against."
Eddie, with no warning, pressed his lips to yours hungrily. He kissed you with a passion only rivaled by his love of music. Then he looked at you again. "You're my number one now. And I'll prove it to you every day. I promise."