Freaky Friday

Eddie Munson x Reader (she/her)
Soulmate AU
Word Count: 2k
Warnings: body swapping, low self image
Summary: imagine what it would be like to wake up in the body of your soulmate. walking a mile in their shoes.

originally posted at https://thisismynerdyself.tumblr.com/post/687982232150933504/freaky-friday

*****

No one knows who they're meant to be with without some grand act of fate to flip their life upside down.
Y/N spent her Thursday like any other day, waking up to get ready for school, spending an ungodly amount of time making herself look, in her opinion, half-presentable. Then cramming a quick breakfast into her bag before running out the door to catch her ride - her best friend in her new car.
School was tolerable at best, nothing at all exciting. Drama as usual igniting fires all around her, but Y/N managed to stay out of it if at all possible.
As was her usual routine, Y/N also anonymously slipped copies of her calculus notes into the slots of her classmate's locker - there was one person er class who seriously struggled and wouldn't accept any other help, but he seemed to accept this.
In the evening, Y/N forced her way through her textbooks, microwaved some of last night's leftovers, and closed her blinds before listening to her favorite tape on repeat until falling asleep. She drifted off into oblivion, with not a single clue as to what the next day would bring.

On Friday morning, the sun rose high and shone brightly through the open window beside her bed. Blinded by the sudden intrusion of morning, Y/N rolled over to check the time, but she was met with only confusion. Where was her clock? It was right there next to-
She sat up abruptly. This wasn't right. Looking around, she saw nothing familiar. Whose room was she in?
She patted the space beside her and found herself to be alone. Okay. But where was she and how did she get here?
Oh no- this couldn't be- could it?
Y/N rose to suddenly shaky legs and made her way to the streaky mirror across the room. As she neared, she closed her eyes, afraid of what the reflection would show. With her hands braced against the dresser below the mirror, she counted...
One... two... three...
and opened her eyes.

Eddie knew from the moment he regained any sense of awareness. The mattress was softer, thicker. The room was darker, smelled better. He knew where he fell asleep and this was most definitely not it. He heard the clicking of a tape player that was never shut off properly. He reached over and removed the tape. Foreigner. Huh. A Madonna tape sat nearby, the two clearly being favorites.
Next, feeling a burst of excitement, he jumped to his feet, half launching himself across the room and into the hall bathroom. His eyes widened to their peak and he let out a deep breath, one of relief and contentment, at his reflection.

One step, two steps, three steps. Y/N was out the front door, the torn backpack she had found discarded by the door tossed over her shoulder. This new identity was a challenge to adapt to. Getting ready for school - going to the bathroom, especially - took a while to figure out. She reasoned that looking and acting normal would be the best course. Until, of course, she ran into herself - or rather, her body. That would be an interesting conversation for sure.
The bus swung by and Y/N climbed aboard, doing her best to copy mannerisms of a person she rarely interacted with. She sat alone in the very back seat, staring out the window. She caught a glimpse of the curly brown hair falling just past her shoulders and twisted a strand around her finger, deep in thought.
Her attention snapped back to reality when she realized the bus driver was calling to her - not to her, to him, his name - that it was time to get off. She nodded and made her way outside then into the halls of Hawkins High.

Eddie found himself with ample time to prepare and enjoy his hot breakfast with cold orange juice. He found his new persona to be quite attractive without much time spent on fixing up his hair or face. He thought his new face was perfect the way it was, and his hair was just as soft as ever.
The honk of a horn out by the curb surprised him, and he realized that this was the first test. He ran outside, the small bag by the door and the pile of books in his arms, and up to the passenger door. He looked in and smiled, climbing in and pretending (for once) to have a best friend.
Remember to breathe, smile, laugh, and not seem too suspicious. Sounds easy enough.
Eddie walked into the school hallway and summoned his best impression of the one person he feared seeing later in the day. But it was inevitable. It was fate.