I just nodded my head, spinning in my locker combination.

“Who’s another no show?” I recognised Chelsea’s voice as she stuck her nose into our conversation.

“Kayleigh Moore.” Dylan answered for me, as I stuffed my books into my locker.

“That bitchy red head girl?” Chelsea asked confused.

My shoulders stayed stiff, as I slammed my locker door shut.

“Yeah.” Dylan nodded. “Poor Jayden here got stuck being partnered with her for English Lit, and she hasn’t shown up for any lessons since.”

Chelsea considered this for a minute. “Why don’t you go to Blue Diamond, see if you can find her there?” She suggested.

I scrunched my nose up in confusion. “Blue Diamond? The restaurant?” I asked, making sure.

Chelsea nodded her head. “Yeah. She’s got a job there. I’ve seen her a few times when I’ve gone.”

“Seriously?” Now that would have been helpful information to know sooner. Chelsea nodded her head, her blonde ponytail bouncing as she did so. I felt relieved at finding a new way to contact her.

“Yep.” She popped the P.

I grinned happily. “You are a life saver Chels.” I said, swooping down to kiss her on the cheek. She giggled pulling away with a smile.

“Glad I can help.” She said blushing.

Kayleigh:

My stomach jolted with pain as I walked to Blue Diamond.

He had been really mad this time.

The phone call the school had given him apparently had put him on edge. He’d gotten mad enough to use a knife. I winced as I remembered the feeling of the cold blade running across my stomach, digging into my hips.

He had been more pissed than he had been in months. I could smell the alcohol rolling off of him from across the room.

Luckily the wounds he had given me hadn’t been too deep. There had been no visit to the hospital. Those explanations were always really awkward. They were always standing to close to me. Watching me, trying to spot a lie.

I had managed to bandage myself up, fairly well.

It just hurt like a bitch to move.

I took in a deep lungful of fresh air. I had spent the last two days locked in my room as punishment. And my stomach had been too bad for me to be able to climb out my window. So it felt good to be outside again.

I hadn’t minded missing school so much. It wasn’t like I understood what the teachers said anyway. But it was better than the visits my dad had made to my room, with his knife.

I was his stress reliever. When he got stressed, he kicked me. I knew my back was riddled with bruises, probably the shape of his shoe.

Thankfully he had only left one visible scar this time.

There was a nasty fist sized bruise on my face. He had left midday today though. Usually I only got a few kicks and slaps around. It wasn’t the most terrible situation in the world. He wasn’t even there half the time.

Still I felt relieved he was gone.

When I entered through the door of Blue Diamond, the first thing I saw was Marcy running towards me. I stepped back a little, forcing my self not to flinch.