iv. | the body

chapter iv

chapter iv. | the body
"jonathan asked me to come"
══════════════════

        CASSIE COULD HARDLY BELIEVE IT. Will Byers was dead. Never in a million years would Cassie think that Will Byers would die before her. He was the one supposed to be attending her funeral in the far future, not the other way around.

        Cassie held Dustin's head close to her, wrapping her other arm around him. She consoled him until his crying stopped and he was too tired to stand. The Henderson siblings made their way to Dustin's room, where Cassie helped him change into his pyjamas. After changing, Dustin lay in his bed, closing his eyes as Cassie held his hand and swept the hair out of his eyes.

        "Cassie?" he whispered softly.

        "Yeah, Dusty?" Cassie whispered back.

        "Promise you'll stay until I fall asleep?"

        Cassie leant down to give a kiss on Dustin's forehead. "Of course, Dusty."

        When she was sure that Dustin was asleep, Cassie snuggly pulled his blankets over him. She walked to her room and changed into track pants and a hoodie. She sat at her desk, hunched over her art, trying desperately to forget the night's horrors. But Cassie couldn't.

        Will and Cassie had always bonded over their art. The two would spend hours together at the General Store, Cassie teaching Will different techniques to make his works more realistic. She was always the first person Will showed his art to (unless his mum or Jonathan had caught him). He was the first one to get her a pack of paintbrushes. He was her inspiration for a lot of pieces. Now, her muse was gone. 

        Will Byers was gone.

        At 9:30, the landline rang. Not wanting the phone to wake her mother or Dustin, Cassie ran to the living room and picked up the call.

        "Hello?" she started.

        "Cass? Is that you?" asked Jonathan from the other side. Cassie breathed out in relief.

        "Yeah, yeah it's me. What's up?" she asked, knowing he wouldn't have called if it wasn't serious.

        "I- I- um." He sighed deeply. "Have you heard about Will?"

        Cassie gulped, her face and voice softening. "Yeah, I have. Jonathan, I am so sorry, I-"

        "Can you come over?" he asked, his voice croaky. She raised her eyebrows at the question. "I just- I don't feel like being alone tonight."

        "Yeah," she breathed, honoured that he had even asked her. "Yeah, I'll be there in a few." With that, she hung up the phone.

        Cassie walked over to the kitchen bench, ripping a piece of paper from a notepad. She wrote,