XIV

Tuesday 1978. 11:13PM.
______________________________

Party time approached rather quickly, but you felt more nervous about it by each passing second. Robin couldn't stick by you the entire time, and you needed to start opening up to more people, making more friends. Since Finney wouldn't be there, you couldn't talk to him either. You stood on the front porch with Robin at your side, both of you waiting on his friend to arrive and pick the both of you up. What you decided to wear wasn't the best choice, in your opinion, but Robin thought the color looked good on you, so you went with it.

_

"What about this one?" A red slip on dress was dangling from your hand, but Robin shook his head.
"Nah, not for a party. What about that pink one? It looks way better on you." You didn't respond to him, and instead went to your closet to grab the pink dress he was talking about. It was the exact same thing, but salmon pink. The boy went into deep thought, trying his hardest to picture you at the party wearing it.
"Wear a cardigan with it. It'll.. uh, y'know, accentuate your eyes." For years, he had been practicing hyping you up with what you wore, and it was funny hearing him say words he probably didn't even know.

"It's gonna be cold tonight. Actually, wear the red one, it'll go with your brown cardigan." You had to admit, seeing him pick out your own clothes to wear out to places was entertaining, because he knew exactly what he was talking about.
"I'm wearing my brown bandana too, so we'll match. Twins, see? You see that, Cariño! It's perfect." The boy lifted the red dress in your hand and brought his head down to compare how they would match with the brown cardigan.
"Guess so. Yeah, I'll do that. Now get out so I can get changed!" He snatched the Hershey's bar on your bed and took it with him when leaving the room and closing the door quietly. Your mom was sleeping in the next room over, and if you woke her, there would be no time to sneak out to the party.

_

"Who's picking us up?" You asked Robin, who was in the process of holding the car door open for you to get in the back with him. Your question was then answered. Tristen Forde sat in the front seat. His locs were tied up in a bun, as per usual, with a scrunchie his girlfriend gave him. The cloth was dark grey, barely visible in the dark, but you noticed it because of the tiny flower design it had. He tapped his thumb on the steering wheel and hummed a song he liked, one he sang at school sometimes. You were a very observant person, you noticed at that moment. It was fun to remember things you humbly noted about other people, and think about it when seeing them do it again.

    "Hey, what's up Robbie!" The two guys fist bumped, then Tristen turned his head to you.
    "And the lovely lady. She the one that totes you around at school?" You gave him a brief handshake and a small smile as he began driving off. Yes, it was true, Robin followed you around school like a lost puppy. He may have put up a tough act in front of others, but you knew him for the absolute dweeb he actually was.
    "Wait, now I know who you are." Uh oh. Was he gonna bring up the stealing?

    "You're the thief that's got something secretive going on with Pinball Vance Hopper! Knew I recognized you." You let out a groan and ran a hand through your hair.
    "Vance and I are just friends," he shook his head with a laugh.
    "Whatever you say. Even Rebecca Marlen is jealous of you. And that's saying something. Vance has the hots for you, and it's not a secret anymore."

    Minutes later, a big house popped up, but not many people were inside, from what you could see. You guessed the whole 'popularity rules' were more strict this time around.
    "Alright. Be safe. And you," you spun around to hear what Tristen had to say.
    "Say hi to Vance for me." Holy shit.

    Holy shit. Why was Vance here? It did make sense for him to be at the party, though, since he was also close friends with Tristen and Roman. Yet still, you didn't want him to be there. It would be so embarrassing running into him, having to go through another awkward conversation.
    "You gonna come inside or should I drag you?" Robin asked, holding the front door open still. You then snapped out of whatever trance you were in and walked inside. The smell of cigarettes and beer slapped you in the face brutally, and the cologne that most senior guys wore burned your nostrils mercilessly.

    "Holy shit, it reeks. Alright, I'm getting a beer for us, okay? Go sit on the couch and wait for me." Robin pointed to the couch that two other people were sat on. They were watching some sort of horror movie, and were so into it.
    "Fuck, oh, shit. You were invited?" A familiar raspy voice asked from behind you. You turned on your heel almost too quickly to face Vance, and he held a beer bottle in his hand.
    "Yeah, free pass 'cuzza Robin." The boy  followed to sit next to you in the couch and suddenly, the party wasn't so bad after all.

    "I don't know anyone here personally, do you?" Vance began pointing out multiple guys all around, and explained how he knew each one.
    "Party's pretty fuckin' lame. I expected it to be better this time, but it's shit. Now I can't even get drunk 'cause I gotta drive home." You didn't know Vance drank, you thought he only smoked cigarettes? That boy didn't fail to surprise you.

    "Aye, I found some beer! I think it's a—" Robin stopped in his tracks at the sight of Vance, and let out a huff.
    "I don't wanna be here when you guys start sucking face, I gotta go find Roman!" He handed you the open bottle and skipped on away to the kitchen.
    "The dress looks good." Vance finally spoke up after a minute of silence. You were half glad he did, because the quietness was beginning to overtake the music playing.
    "Thank you," you grinned at him and tried to prevent your face heating up from the simple comment.

Next song that came on was, you guessed it, a Blondie one.
    "Come dance, it's Pretty Baby!" You suddenly stood up after your first beer and pulled Vance with you. He didn't deny, so you began dancing with him. It was something you and Robin did together, but you were sure he wouldn't mind.

    Well, maybe he didn't need to know.

    "Jesus, don't step on my fucking foot!" the lyrics were implanted into your brain with how many times you listened to the Parallel Lines album. It was addicting!

_

    Was the ceiling always spinning? Vance had to help you back to the couch when you tried taking a fourth beer, and told you no.
    "But, Vance!" You cried, placing your hands on either side of his face dramatically.
    "I'm so tired, but I wanna dance again! Let's go dance," he told you no again, and that he was gonna find Robin.

    "Stay here, okay? Don't talk to anyone. Fuck.." Vance bit his lip in agitation and made a beeline for the kitchen. That boy looked silly when he walked. He waddled like a penguin!

    "Hey," a voice greeted. He sounded light and confused, just like you. When you finally met the guy's gaze, you recognized him as one of Tristen's friends on the football team.
    "You're not Robin. Where's Robin?" The man offered you a drink, but you declined swiftly.
    "Vance said 'no more!'" You made a motion, crossing your arms and mimicking his raspy voice, along with how he told you no.
    "He doesn't seem like any fun, that's too bad. He's not here, though?" The guy shook his head in disapproval and glanced around at the few people that were also in the family room.

    "Hey, what the fuck are you doing?" Here came Vance stomping into the family room, and Robin followed after.
    "Nothing, dude. Just offered her a drink." Even in your drunken state, you could sense the weird vibe this guy was giving you, so you looked to Robin.
    "I wanna go home." You stated as the guy now tried to throw an arm around you. His touch was foreign, and you didn't like how it felt, especially with how you didn't have your cardigan on. Robin held it in his arms when you complained to him that it was too hot in the room. He took it without complaint and went back to the kitchen, warning you not to drink too much, and telling Vance to keep an eye on you or he'd kill him. Of course, the killing part was a joke, but it sounded serious at the time.

    "Get your hands off of her, cuntwad. You asking for a beating?" Vance grabbed the unfamiliar guy by his shirt and yanked him up off the couch effortlessly while Robin helped you up and took you to the car.
    "What's happening inside? Is Vance gonna be okay?" You asked, pressing your face up against the window in an attempt to get a better view of the fight. It was a one-way fight, though, since the guy barely even tried to punch Vance back. The boy just kept punching and punching until Tristen pulled him up harshly. You could see them yelling at each other, while the guy scrambled away up the stairs, unknowingly to them.

    "Police! Shit, get down!" Robin pulled you down behind the front seats and you hid from the officer's line of sight. Someone had called the police either about the party, or about Vance beating someone almost to death. It all went down in front of the enormous front window the house had, so everyone had a fight on display for them at 1 in the morning. Nothing better than that.

    Minutes later, you decided to take one peak at what was happening, and you couldn't believe it.

    Vance hopper was being carried away by a police officer, and he was in handcuffs. He didn't resist, not like before, and just let the man take him to his car and throw him in the back.

    Vance Hopper got arrested for fighting that guy, and even you knew that off of 3 beers.

_

Bad chapter once again bc I'm tired and school is tmr wtf 😰😰